The USD is not worth what it use to be...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by The Kin, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Yes - they are the foreign ETF's, funds plus shortplay on the us indices(rydex)....
    PS
    I still like the SF for pure currency play.

#11     Oct 25, 2005
  2. I love these threads! Another classic one!

Man (over)pays for subway sandwich and USD is to blame!

#12     Oct 25, 2005
  3. well I do not know about you but I have been living the USA for 27 years and watching consumer prices rather closely, if you do believe in the CPI and govt. reported inflation statistics I have a rather classic bridge to sell you in New York City.

#13     Oct 25, 2005
  4. "Everyone" knows the govt manipulates the cpi, etc. I was wondering if you have a more perfect indicator you might share with us or a link to one someone else has developed.

DS

#14     Oct 25, 2005
  5. Exactly!

My point was not that the government does or does not manipulate the CPI. It was simply how entertaining these forums are - and how some "traders" love to come here and posts innane connections like the price of hot dogs in relation to the USD.

#15     Oct 25, 2005
  6. Missed your point, a hazard of online communications by typed forums, but I do share the entertainment. Sometimes I wonder if people are serious about some the really off the wall stuff you see.

BTW-I have a theory of how economic news is reported and it is not far from the hot dog correlation . Goes like this:

Take the headline from the markets and connect it randomly with a news headline. So, it reads for example,

"Dowt is down 50 points because Cheney reported to be source of Plame leak."

DS

#16     Oct 25, 2005
  7. Here's what I got:

EUR/USD up 70 pips because H&M replaces Kate Moss with Italian model.

I love it! I'll be doing this from now on :)

Cheers!

-Ivan

#17     Oct 25, 2005
  8. Kate Moss is British so you better buy some Puts on the British Pound... and buy Calls on Kate Moss!:D

#18     Oct 25, 2005
  9. According to the official government CPI calculated by some folks in Washington

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Your $7.96 sandwitch today would have cost $4.74 in 1988! And if you believe that then I have a bridge...

#19     Oct 25, 2005
  10. I believe the reason for the dollar being worthless is two fold

First you have an irresponsible government that continues to spend more than they take in

Two, countries around the world are starting to realize the national debt is getting to a level where it becomes increasingly difficult to pay off so as they move to other currencies the dollar will continue to go down.

If some MBA economist would like to give me their spin I would love to hear it. It is simple economics you can't continue to spend more than you take in and expect that people with have confidence in your business model, yet that is what the US does!

Maybe we can get a fiscally repsonsible government, there's an idea!

#20     Oct 25, 2005