The US started as the Wild West

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Dec 15, 2012.

Should school staff carry side arms

1. Yes.

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No.

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. I don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. There are plenty of semi-free societies where this shit doesn't happen to the magnitude that it does in this country.

#21     Dec 15, 2012
  2. pspr

pspr

We've been through this. There is a whole wiki page devoted to it by country.

#22     Dec 15, 2012
  3. Fine then I suggest you move to one that suits you .

#23     Dec 15, 2012
  4. I disagree with arming school staff. Sure you could teach the use of a firearm to staff, how are you going to hire staff who would kill a student? It's a conflict and a liability.

Imagine a student sitting across from a principle being disciplined and that principle is wearing a sidearm. Very threatening probably to a parent also.

I think a law enforcement officer would be the best bet.

We could limit access to the interior of the school but school shooters could wait till everyone exits.

We used to have institutions for the mentally ill. These were replaced with psych meds and the patients shuffled off to no mans land, ie shelters, group homes, the streets and prisons.

This is the trade off to save money and preserve rights. Death and destruction.

#24     Dec 15, 2012
  5. Why do idiots like you suggest that whenever someone criticizes the way something is in this country that we should move to another country? I admit that I might be biased, because my elementary school was shot up yesterday, but to simply ignore the fact that we have more of these than anywhere else in the world and do nothing about it is pure stupidity.

#25     Dec 15, 2012
  6. 377OHMS

377OHMS

This is as close to an answer that makes sense as there is going to be. I remember when the mental institutions were defunded in 1981. Of course the Republicans are credited with that. That is when these mass killings seemed to really get started and it is also when homelessness became such a big issue. The streets of Santa Monica and downtown LA are filled with homeless mentally ill people that have just been cast out of society. Alot of these people can't take care of themselves anyway and housing them in hospitals is a humane solution.

I like the idea of going back to a time when we identified and committed crazy people to institutions. I would rather pay taxes for that than have armed guards in schools.

#26     Dec 15, 2012
  7. I see you are too stupid to understand what I wrote.

I'm not making light of it, just facing reality, bad things happen it cannot be prevented.

Let me see if I put it too you rather bluntly I reject , any "SOLUTION" that requires "MORE GOVT" and entails MORE TAXES and or LESS FREEDOM.

esp since it's guaranteed to be ineffective.

#27     Dec 15, 2012
  8. well what part of this confuses you?

#28     Dec 15, 2012
  9. So how many of these mass shootings per year should we accept before we do something about it? How many dead children before we say ok, maybe a little bit of freedom can be sacrificed? All it's doing is getting worse.

#29     Dec 15, 2012
  10. BSAM

BSAM

Don't feed the trolls.

#30     Dec 15, 2012