The US is bankrupt

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Runningbear, Aug 12, 2010.

1. good point, but now for the first time, there's a new twist ....

US investors now own majority of Treasuries – for the first time since the start of the financial crisis in Aug ’07, US investors own more Treasuries than foreign holders – Bloomberg

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#11     Aug 13, 2010
  2. emg

emg

alright people. start forming an army, built a fortress in your neighborhood, and stack canned of tuna and canned of spam.

#12     Aug 13, 2010
  3. World derivatives are worth $600 Trillion. The whole world is bankrupt.

#13     Aug 13, 2010
  4. Stop the nonsense, please...

World derivatives are not "worth $600tn". Their notional value is $600tn. If you don't know the difference between NPV and notional, you're not fit to comment.

#14     Aug 13, 2010
  5. sumfuka

sumfuka

Why? What should I do if the army kicks me out of the fortress and take all the spam and tuna away from me. :eek:

#15     Aug 13, 2010
  6. Do you mean US investors or the Fed and it's go betweens?

#16     Aug 14, 2010
  7. As someone mentioned earlier, once the fractional reserve genie was let out the bottle this was only going to head one way. The banking system is screwed. Everyone knows it. But fixing it involves tearing the current financial system to pieces. And nobody is in a rush to do that. The show will come to an end soon enough of its own accord, but until then...let's party like it's 1999.

#17     Aug 14, 2010
  8. Buzzed

Buzzed

#18     Aug 14, 2010
  9. olias

olias

"House Speaker John Boehner routinely offers this diagnosis of the U.S.’s fiscal condition: “We’re broke; Broke going on bankrupt,” he said in a Feb. 28 speech in Nashville.

Boehner’s assessment dominates a debate over the federal budget that could lead to a government shutdown. It is a widely shared view with just one flaw: It’s wrong. "

continued: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...r-saying-we-re-broke-is-figure-of-speech.html

#19     Mar 9, 2011
  10. +1

Also, will someone please explain to me how the zero-sum portion of the market is capable of bringing about a complete collapse in the underlying?

By definition, we are talking about contracts only. There is no creation of wealth in this arena, merely a transfer. Thus a derivative-based global collapse seems illogical.

#20     Mar 9, 2011