The US at its pinnacle, 1953 Time magazine

Discussion in 'Economics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Dec 1, 2009.

1. no, we're just headed toward equality

one big fucking ghetto

#11     Dec 1, 2009
  2. all the ads look like the beginning titles of the tv show 'mad Men'

last page in particular, the coke nurse ad

#12     Dec 1, 2009
  3. Goto Zillow. I looked around Chicago and Seattle just for kicks. A ton of homes @ 1200-1400 sqft, 3 BR going for around 175-225k. A 30 year fixed mortgage can easily be paid off by a single worker living within their means, unless (obviously) they lose their job or become sick.

The difference today people don't want to live like people lived in the 1950s. They don't want a tiny 1,200 sqft house in a working class neighborhood, they want a 4,000 sqft McMansion. Their kids don't want to sleep in the same bedroom. The kids all want their own bedrooms with XboX, plasma TVs and en-suite bathrooms. And that granite kitchen countertop for mom and swimming pool for dad. So suddenly the "average" house costs $700k and people wonder why things are so much less affordable than they were in the 50s.

#13     Dec 1, 2009
  4. I noticed that a lot of families were making their own clothes! How many families today would do that?

#14     Dec 1, 2009
  5. Two things. They were doing fine but they all had a lot less stuff. The average house today is 2500 square feet compared to just over 900 square feet in the 1950's. If you live now the way your parents lived in the 1950's, you'd be able to live on a single income as well.

Things were fine if you happened to be a white man. Things were less rosey if you happened to be black or female.

further, the 1950's happened to be a time of growth after a war and a decade long recession. Once all of the pent-up demand was soaked up, we got the 1970's.

As for higher taxes, I'm surprised by the figure you posted. While marginal taxes were high, there were a million loopholes. The average effective income tax rate was 23%.

#15     Dec 1, 2009
  6. Awe....don't be too upset. You and I will be in the ghetto.

But, don't worry. The political elite will still live in grand style and we will all be told through propaganda that we should take pride in that.

#16     Dec 1, 2009
  7. MX2101

MX2101

I think the comments about changed expectations and lifestyle since that era are well founded.

#17     Dec 1, 2009
  8. Pretty high yet they were doing fine. So it seems higher taxes did not seem to have a negative impact.

Your joking right? Because of the magazine, you actually believe that Tax at about 50% did not hurt?

LOL......

No wonder this country has OBAMA in office.

#18     Dec 1, 2009
  9. And everyone will be brown in color.

#19     Dec 1, 2009
  10. Yeah, but people were also slim and trim back then...fat fucks now need 3,000 sq houses to fit their Super Sized asses through the doors....
    and they can't afford them...

#20     Dec 1, 2009