the unsettling truth about this market

Discussion in 'Economics' started by tortoise, Dec 28, 2009.

1. I'm annoyed we didn't have a broad reaction to the crotch bomber. Nada zip to the ft hood incident and nothing now. It is like peace on earth good will towards dow.

#41     Dec 30, 2009
  2. Also as for as comparisions to '03. As I recall the market reminded me of a jack rabbit. ready to jump at the slightest geo political rumor, threat, whatever. This is not happening now.

Secondly, imo any internal problems re Iran is positive for the west. The people of Iran share some of the western ideals. Abujabee is just a noise maker, trying to be a macho man to other rabs, they ain't drinking his kool aid.

#42     Dec 30, 2009
  3. Money not backed by the US government has left this system completely. There is too much moral hazard and government intervention to make any kind of longterm risk analysis.

All we are doing is extending and pretending because the government wont hand anyone losses or hold anyone accountable for anything

#43     Dec 30, 2009
  4. Don't be dense - of course they've changed, that's so obvious it's not worth mentioning. They've changed strategies but that's inconsequential. Their advantage and method-of-action has been around for 20+ years. The only people affected by volume intra-day programs are scalpers, which and less and less liquidity to the markets; not a bad thing.

#44     Dec 30, 2009
  5. tortoise

tortoise

I'd like to know more about this...the market has "felt" different, but there have been many potential inputs to which that could be ascribed...

How have the 'bots changed?

#45     Dec 30, 2009
  6. Chicago manufacturing numbers look'd good.

Asia is starting heat up.

This could be a short lived, one to two year increase in nations GDP... then another bust...

but right here, right now...buy dips.

Oil back up near 80.

If you can't fight "Them" in the markets...trade wise and follow however, do not become a sheep. Understand that at anytime you need an exit plan.

#46     Dec 30, 2009
  7. ammo

ammo

treasury,aig,fnm,fred mac,the fed and its banks,all got caught with there pants down,rather than take there beating like men, admit they were wrong,learn from their mistake, they made a new deal with the devil : ok , heres what will do say's Hank, we will write a huge check to all my old buddies, open the largest trading acct on earth ,US becomes g sax customer, they trade and manipulate(corner) the market , the US gets back its cash, all Hanks old buddies clean up,in the interum, we are able to borrow more foriegn monies, due to our ability to avoid a crash...now thats done.....the rally and sell and pullback and buy again has stopped for the last couple months, the foriegners have stopped lending or buying our bonds...Hank's buddies need to show good numbers fro the end of the year to lock in their bonus's,so they will keep their mouths shut. After jan 1, or 3pm cst tommorrow,they have secured their bonuses ,Hanks buddies have gotten sufficiently short , and we can pullback so they can take a profit.There will be no crash because in this little deal, we have gotten every other gov't to print oodles of new markers ,so we are not in this alone...how we get out of it is going to take a bigger charade than the one we just witnessed

#47     Dec 30, 2009
  8. The algos play different strategies - the major changes over the years have come in the exotic plays they are used for, which means more leverage.

To me, the market doesn't "feel" any different than it did last year at this time. If anything it moved more this year as I expected then any in the last 5.

#48     Dec 30, 2009
  9. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

I don't really watch much telly nowadays, but whenever I do I seem to notice We Buy Unwanted Gold For Cash type adverts. Not sure when this craze started out, perhaps we will have some sort of currency crisis next. Somebody is getting ready for it.

#49     Dec 30, 2009
  10. with the recession and high unemployment, people still have remarkable amount of disposable cash on their hands.

Calif. pastor takes in $2.4M after donations plea
    The Associated Press
    Saturday, January 2, 2010; 11:43 PM

LAKE FOREST, Calif. -- Evangelical pastor Rick Warren's plea for donations to fill a $900,000 deficit at his Southern California megachurch brought in $2.4 million, Warren announced to cheers during a sermon at the church on Saturday.

#50     Jan 3, 2010