The unraveling of a billionaire's mind

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Pekelo, Aug 17, 2018.

1. ironchef

ironchef

I beg to disagree. Yes, the jury is still out on his visions, but whether we like him or not, like newwurldmn said, he has great visions. Remember some said the same about Jobs when he was kicked out of Apple. H Hughes might be crazy but no one denied he founded Hughes, a leading Aerospace company at its peak.

How many of us dare to dream the impossible dream?

#11     Aug 19, 2018
  2. schweiz

schweiz

If you dare to post your dream on ET all bashers will attack you as being ... even posting reality is many times already problematic. Never exceed what the average joe can or they chop your head off. Posting above average things is only accepted from a priviliged group of wonderboys.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    #12     Aug 19, 2018
    jl1575 likes this.
  3. jinxu

jinxu

Elon Musk's main problem, other then being a dreamer, is the an old business principle of being first to market often ends up last to finish. The reason being, first to market often mean you are making the majority of the mistakes that competitors learn from and can eventually leap frog on.

Take the example of Myspace. Myspace was the first to market. However Facebook came later. Now Myspace is gone. And Facebook dominates.

Other examples:
    Apple vs Microsoft
    iPhone vs Android
    AOL and Firefox
    Tivo and DirectTV

And let's not forget the Wright's Brother:

The Airplane Business

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    #13     Aug 20, 2018
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

So did Elizabeth Holmes. Let's not give out prizes for dreaming...

#14     Aug 20, 2018
    ironchef likes this.
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

..is that the energy content of batteries are still too low. Not to mention making a car factory in America is not a good idea when there is cheap labour Mexico nearby. NOBODY in the West can make electric cars profitably, the Fiat boss begged people not to buy their EVs because they lose 14K on every vehicle.

But shouldn't a genius recognize this??? Well, because he was able to keep raising money, and the government subsidies helped his business, he didn't have to face the music until NOW....

He simply got addicted to his own hubris...

#15     Aug 20, 2018
    Overnight likes this.
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Do you actually have a valid argument here or are you just talking about people? Because only small minds discuss people... :)

#16     Aug 20, 2018
  7. schweiz

schweiz

Is that why you post so much about Musk?:)

I posted already, not a dream, but reality. And even that got a lot of hostile reactions.

#17     Aug 20, 2018
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Maybe because we don't like preferential treatments. But we do like reality. In reality, no Western automaker can make EVs profitably, end of story...

The reason I post about him so much, because people worshiping him fascinate me. That is how people sign up for Scientology and such....

#18     Aug 20, 2018
  9. ironchef

ironchef

Good point but there is a small difference: She had a dream but only smoke and mirror whereas he has dreams and products, Falcon launchers, Tesla cars...

Years ago, as a young man right after PayPal, he decided to develop rockets, founded SpaceX with his own money but no one believed him. Fast forward, a few years later, companies lined up to buy his launches. He is more Hughes (Howard) than Holmes (Elizabeth).

#19     Aug 20, 2018
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

I think their mission statement (dream) is to make public transportation electrified and accessible for the masses. That means cheap EVs. They are failing to achieve that... So they are not much better than Holmes if we don't move the goal post.

Not to mention all 3 of his companies heavily depended on government benefits/orders. Without those they would have folded much earlier. But I have to give him that, he is very good at milking Uncle Sam's tits...

#20     Aug 20, 2018