The United Nations Security Council.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SouthAmerica, Jan 27, 2007.

1. .

January 27, 2007

SouthAmerica: The United Nations Security Council and Brazil.

Prime Minister Tony Blair called on Saturday for The United Nations Security Council to include also Brazil among other important countries.

“Blair calls for wider UN Security Council”
    Reuters – UK
    Sat Jan 27, 2007

DAVOS, Switzerland (Reuters) - Prime Minister Tony Blair called on Saturday for the United Nations Security Council to include Germany, Japan, Brazil, India and African and Muslim nations for it to be effective.

He urged a change in the present system and said one option was to have a bridging mechanism which would allow for semi-permanent status without a veto.

Blair said there was a case for overhauling two other world organisations, suggesting the merger of the IMF and the World Bank and involving developing nations more….

2. .

February 11, 2007

SouthAmerica: This is an interesting development, since I remember reading recently an article about how the UN Security Council still being represented today by what the world it did look like in 1947.

The article went on to say that the situation has changed around the world since 1947 and that today there were a few countries that should be included as permanent members of the United Nations Security Council with the power to veto – and these countries were Brazil, India, and Germany.

The article also mentioned that preliminary research had shown that in the case of Brazil there were only 3 countries members of the United Nations that were against Brazil’s inclusion into the UN Security Council as a permanent member – and these countries were Argentina, Mexico, and Pakistan.

Argentina and Mexico were against for obvious reasons since these countries are rivals of Brazil – and they wanted to be included themselves as a new permanent member on the UN Security Council.

Now - I have no idea why Pakistan is against Brazilian permanent status at the UN Security Council.

I wonder if the Brazilian government were able to secure the support of Pakistan’s government regarding the Brazilian bid to become a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council before the Brazilian government signed on this oil deal.

“Brazil and Pakistan sign oil search deal”
    The Associated Press - February 9, 2007

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - Brazil's state oil company Petroleo Brasileiro SA said Friday it has signed a deal with Pakistan's state petroleum company to search for oil in the Indian Ocean.

Petrobras and Pakistan's Oil and Gas Development Company Limited will each have a 50 percent share in the offshore block covering 7,400 square kilometers (2,855 square miles), about 200 kilometers (125 miles) from Pakistan's capital of Karachi, Petrobras said in a statement.

Only 11 exploratory wells have been drilled in the block, said Petrobras, a world leader in deep-water drilling.

Brazil consumes around 1.85 million barrels of oil a day and announced it reached self-sufficiency last year, although its output varies. Most of its oil comes from offshore fields in the Campos Basin near Rio de Janeiro.

3. .

February 16, 2007

SouthAmerica: I missed one major candidate in the above list of countries that want to become a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council - "Japan".

4. The United Nations together with its Security Council is absurd, corrupt, spineless and useless bureaucracy and will remain like that with or without Brazil, with or without Japan, with or without muslim and african countries. I sincerely pity people who don't understand this.

The United Nations:
    Money wasted - trillions of dollars
    Accomplishments - 0 (zero, zilch, nada, nil)