The ultimate carry trade

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Cutten, Jul 17, 2008.

1. I am not Cutten, but you seem to assume that FT and WSJ are better than people here such as Cutten.

I commend Cutten for this thread, and I want to say that I wrote a note on this on one of my blogs and some people send me a note similar to Bryant's note and to the notes of other people here who write as if they are entitled to things.

I am sorry that you (Bryant and others) should consider that there are people better than any newspaper or wall street house out there. If they are humble to share here, do not assume that they are lower when they are in fact better.

Those houses/newspapers charge you to the nose, that is probably why you respect them. But people who show up here and give valuable information are not respected. You did not even thank the man for sharing.

Cutten: I think you should cut this thread. I have been posting market calls that nailed tops and bottom for a large number od days here and most of what I got (with the exception of some small great number of people) were insults or ungrateful comments.

Some people understand only this: make them pay, and then they will consider what yougive them as great value, even if that value is negative!

#51     Jul 28, 2008
  2. Cutten:

1. Thanks for starting this excellent thread.

2. My timing methods tell me that the bottom on the J-REIT is in the 1000. It is now in the 1200 area. But one can start getting in as one is already paid income while waiting.

#52     Jul 28, 2008
  3. pbj:

Do you pls. know if there are options traded on the J-REIT index?
    And if yes, any information on this.

#53     Jul 28, 2008
  4. Do you make the difference between buying with your cash, and buying on credit?

#54     Jul 28, 2008
  5. #55     Jul 28, 2008
  6. Cutten

Cutten

Go to ft.com, look up the stocks of Japanese REITs (there are links posted on this thread where you can find a list of their names & stock codes). Ft.com and reuters.com both have balance sheet info and financials on the companies.

For news/ideas, just type "J-REITs" or "Japan REITs" into google. For more info, google each stock name/symbol - Reuters also has a headlines summary for each stock.

You can get more detailed info from the company websites, many of them have an English version.

#56     Aug 12, 2008
  7. Cutten

Cutten

Some news on this sector - as predicted, corporate activity and takeover offers are now beginning:

"Tuesday, August 12, 2008

U.S. Fund Oaktree To Launch Tender Offer For Japanese REIT

TOKYO (Nikkei)--U.S. investment fund Oaktree Capital Management LP said Tuesday it will launch a tender offer for Re-plus Residential Investment Inc. (8986), the first such bid for a Japanese real estate investment trust."

http://www.nni.nikkei.co.jp/CF/FR/GATEWAY/rss_news.cfm?URL=/AC/TNKS/Nni20080812D12JFN04.htm&Check=1

If this tender offer is successful, then further takeovers in the sector can be expected in the coming months. They have chosen one of the most undervalued REITs, trading at 63.6% discount to NAV. I would recommend watching the prices on the Japan open and trading session tonight to see how the whole sector reacts.

#57     Aug 12, 2008
  8. vv111y

vv111y

very nice.
    Hope I can participate before the best picks are gone -- that is if this area is truly attractive.

#58     Aug 12, 2008
  9. JRE: Japan REIT Investors Get Dedicated ETF

On Monday, September 8, Northern Trust Global Investments, the asset management arm of Northern Trust Corp., launched the NETS Tokyo Stock Exchange REIT Index Fund (JRE). The fund is "the first dedicated ETF to be based on the Tokyo Stock Exchange REIT Index" (press release). JRE trades on the NYSE Arca Exchange.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/94847-jre-japan-reit-investors-get-dedicated-etf

#59     Nov 24, 2008
  10. moo

moo

Are there any such ETFs trading in Japan, denominated in yen, and perhaps much more liquid too?

#60     Nov 24, 2008