The turtles. Are they real?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by michael c, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Are these backtests account for pyramiding and a portfolio as tested on the same basket of commodities?
    Just out of curiosity - did you use Curtis Faith's software - veritrader to backtest?

#61     Oct 3, 2005
  2. swcom

swcom

All systems need to be adjusted annually, if not quarterly/monthly/weekly/daily. I think the system is a good guide, but could use some tweaking to make it work well in this electronic trading world, v. the telephone trading world.

#62     Oct 3, 2005
  3. gmb1994

gmb1994

#63     Oct 3, 2005
  4. PoundtheRock- Shouldnt you quote the returns of a public "trend follower" like Dunn instead of a single trader whose methodology may differ day to day (i.e discretionary trader) ?

I tried to code the TurtleRules.pdf system being touted by the real turtles. I attempted to work it for equities, and I have had crap results.

Instead, Im trading something different, but there is no way you are going to get 60% Monroe Trout style returns when you do trend following with equities. The results I have so far are 25% annual dating back to 75 and 40% from 95-05

Any thoughts on this, Id like to hear them.

Eric

#64     Oct 3, 2005
  5. MktNinja

MktNinja

The question should be is "Has Covel ever made money using this method?" It seems like all of the money he's made was teaching and reporting this method.

#65     Dec 18, 2006
  6. They are real. Just sticking to the facts...

All are able to program in some sort of language, enabling them to test and develop new models. They all trade other models other than the "original" methods taught by Bill and Richard.

That said...

Viability of the "Turtle Method" and "Turtles" are two seperate issues.

#66     Dec 18, 2006
  7. Look up Jerry Parker. Still the most promising trader that came out of Eckhardt and Dennis turtle program.

#67     Dec 18, 2006
  8. obviously, eckhardt and dennis did not intend this supposed experiment to be turned into a marketing gimmick, or did they?

surf

#68     Dec 18, 2006
  9. and who knows more about marketing "STUFF" more than surf? .... :D

#69     Dec 18, 2006
  10. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

With all due respect, that is a brief sales mention, not the story. My book "The Complete TurtleTrader" is the story. I had no idea these threads were so loaded down with incomplete information.

#70     Oct 11, 2007