The Traders Age? :)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Scientist, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Based on the 86 votes so far, I calculate the average ET active member age to be 35.4 yrs.

Thank goodness -- that means I'm just below average (age wise, that is; though probably intelligence wise as well). Also thank goodness because I was afraid that this site was just a bunch of highschool kids! :D

#31     Jun 9, 2003
  2. The bars are beginning to assume the shape of a bell curve...

#32     Jun 9, 2003
  3. Hmmm... Shame though it's not exactly accurate graphically because as the age increases, the increments increase as well - Very unfortunate we can't have more options on a poll...

-Scientist

#33     Jun 9, 2003
  4. The mistake you made was in assuming a younger distribution! ::p

#34     Jun 9, 2003
  5. By the way - The results on my specs on NTES mentioned previously: Some scalping for the interested ones;

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Long NTES @32.01 (just above the 3rd 1-min candle for the day)
    Stop-reversed @ 32.47 (9:35am -long term resistance bounce suspected- high was @32.65 - sell while dummies are buying)
    net on long .47 -.01comm.(IB) = -.46 X 2,000 = 920 pts.

closed short (stop-reverse) @ 32.16 (9:47am -support-bounce confirmed, resistance broken at 32.14, stop-reverse long.
    net on short av .26 /ac = .25 X 2,000 = 500 pts.

closed long @32.72 (22:05 on the 1-min -a bit late - breakout base over resistance level now confirmed as downward reversal + negative vol% accumulation)
    net on long (av .55 /ac .54) = .54 X 2,000 = 1,080 pts

Total net trades +2,500 pts. /~0.0032% of netTO or ~3.85% of tradesize utilized.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few really excellent moves were still to come, but I stopped there and went over to the ES. They are a lot less scary because there's always maximum liquidity, so you can scale in/out even with huge positions (10+ contracts or more is huge to me, I know I'm still a poor trader compared 2 some around here, but I'm working on it).

On the ES, I'm very conservative and risk-adverse, so I try to capture an average of 2-5 pts per day, which would equal 20-50 pts if you're trading 10 contracts. If anybody can tell me how to do more than 3 pts on ES everyday on a consistent basis - Please help me! :confused:

Besides the ES, NTES is my favourite scalping stock. Awesome volatility. Shame about the liquidity sometimes, but I love scalping it, U just can't trade more than 2k shares or U get into trouble I find. Though it's a great stock for beginners 'cause it's full of amateurs, very unlike CSCO, or MSFT & INTC which are full of razorsharp MM's. However, I use them as leading indicators (they often even tend to lead the SPX/COMPQ)

For all U beginner traders, I hope this helped you a bit. Feel free to analyze the charts on the 1-min and follow what I did. I hope I didn't make any mistakes, all the logs should be O.K.

Just for a proof that scalping DOES work... :D

Shame that I can never catch the full moves, though. 70% if I'm lucky...
    Guess this is the trader's curse :(

Looking forward to some constructive feedback...

Live Long and Prosper...
    ~The Scientist

#35     Jun 9, 2003
  6. Well, not really - Since the majority of traders is 18-35...

#36     Jun 9, 2003
  7. What really WAS my mistake is that I double-counted ages rather than excluding them (i.e: I polled 18-21, 21-24, 24-27 rather than 18-21, 22-24, 25-27 and so on...) Shame about that, but I'll know better next time :D

~Scientist

#37     Jun 9, 2003
    #38     Jun 9, 2003
    #39     Jun 10, 2003
  10. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

the average trader age in BB firms is 23-25

#40     Jun 10, 2003