The Toyota Hysteria

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Kicking, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Syprik

Syprik

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/how_to_deal_with_unintended_acceleration-tech_dept

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW2zdyvXGuM

It's easier said than done to simply hit the brakes and shift into neutral. That may be the case on a straight-open highway, but try contending with a powerful WOT vehicle in an intersection, near an exit ramp, sharp winding road where you are already near the maximum safe speed, traffic ahead, etc with an inexperienced/panicky driver? There is quite a large collection of muppet drivers out there... $30 & heart-beat seems to be the license requirement. Even though it should require no more than 150-200lbs of leg pressure to brake an out-of-control WOT vehicle (not significant for "most" humans), there are drivers that simply can't muster the leverage quick enough. It's easy to plan for such in a controlled, pre-planned test. When it's unexpected, throw everything out the window.

Also keep in mind, when @ WOT, there is a good chance booster vacuum brake assist can approach/reach depletion when someone panic's. Panic = depress the brakes repeatedly 3-5 times, instead of once very hard and keep it depressed. The reservoirs are only so large. ABS trigger can also come into play.

I'm a somewhat active SCCA BMW/Audi club racer. This topic has come up quite a bit among my track buddies. Some of the very experienced wrenches are of the opinion there is a serious electronic issue lurking beneath this debacle. I'm personally not sure what to conclude.

Hope they can turn this around quick...certainly want to keep loving Toyota.

#21     Feb 24, 2010
  2. schizo

schizo

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I'm pretty damn sure that Uncle Sam was behind this all along. Considering that GM and Chrysler is emerging out of bankruptcy, you can't help but question whether the timing of this whole debacle is just a coincidence. And the media frenzy looks more like a friggin' witch hunt than a circus.

BTW no matter how much GM and others revamp their products, I still say their products are inferior to the Japanese.

#22     Feb 24, 2010
  3. heypa

heypa

All the toyota systems are independent control by wire systems. The key word is independent. All are computer controls and do not act immediately upon driver action. There is some computer lag in all actions.
    In my opinion it is a serious design flaw that doesn't disable the throttle when aggressive braking is applied.
    Safety overrides all.
    Forget the key thingy. In some cars for convenience The key may still be in your pocket.
    In any control by wire there may be a lag in response that you don't recognize during normal operation and expect not to be there in panic situations.
    IMHO Not an expert on toyota.

As to the fiasco in Washington. Doesn't the U.S. essentially own a couple of American car companies?
    Aren't they unionized with large pension problems?
    Isn't Toyota non unionized?
    I wonder how many of the congressional posturers Have received union campaign contributions?
    Conflict of interest anyone?
    Is it possible here in America?

#23     Feb 24, 2010
  4. My understanding is that at least in some cases, they made the cars made for the U.S. markets differently and didn't test the changes. On the other hand, are you certain there are "no problems in Europe and elsewhere" or you just haven't heard of them?

I will definately not buy a Toyota or accept one as a rental at this point for a long, long time.

#24     Feb 24, 2010
  5. ET99

ET99

What a bunch of fascists.

#25     Feb 24, 2010
  6. Remember just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean people aren't out to get you. There is definitely a lot of hype but I read it as more of a chance to get yourself associated with helping people as opposed to doing absolutely nothing (which is what most congress members are associated with)

#26     Feb 24, 2010
  7. Members of Congress are in a stampede to look "good" , maybe it will lift their 10% approval ratings.

#27     Feb 24, 2010
  8. this does not concern me, i have driven a beemer for as long as i can recall

#28     Feb 24, 2010
  9. MattF

MattF

Still will buy Toyota...just make sure it's made in Japan first :D

Even still it's certain models that got affected...if it was the whole line we'd be whistling a different tune here...

#29     Feb 24, 2010
  10. heypa

heypa

SideShowBob. ????????

#30     Feb 25, 2010