The time has come ...

Discussion in 'Journals' started by aphexcoil, Oct 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just got the e-mail from IB. The wire went through (in like 20 minutes). I now have the 5k sitting in the account. I'm not sure why, but for some reason I am more nervous than I thought I would be. This is a pretty amazing feeling, actually. It is like standing at the door of an airplane with a parachute on your back and jumping for your first time.

These thoughts of, "Will my parachute open when I need it to?" keep coming to mind. I feel like I'm taking the first step toward a long journey -- where I will hopefully learn how to tame my emotions and think logically and act decisively.

The time has come to put my money where my mouth is. I can no longer hide behind a simulator. This is the real world where real dollars are at stake. I do well on a simulator but, for some reason, it now feels all so different.

This is it ... it has begun. I must execute my first real live future's trade soon. I'm willing to accept a loss. I will only trade once today, if the opportunity presents itself.

It's like sticking your foot in the pool on a hot summer day and finding out that it is freezing. Hopefully, like swimming, once you jump in the water gets warmer.

Oh shit ... here goes nothing ...

2. m_c_a98

m_c_a98

before you do anything, create boundaries for yourself in the environment and stay within them. Everyone of my many huge mistakes and losses has come from me straying outside my boundaries.

Stay in bounds....

3. You can do it Aphie... you da man!

4. hallelujah! put the pedal to the metal bro.

once you realise you've forgotten everything u thought u knew, keep this, above all else in mind: keep to your stops and take the loss. hard to go too far wrong if u do that.

countin' on ya kid.

5. Good-luck on your journey Aphie! :cool:

6. Quick suggestion:

Considering that your first few months will be more for training purposes than profit purposes, unless you plan to scalp for half ticks or something, why not start out doing 100 share lots of SPY, or even 50 share lots of SPY, thus reducing dollar exposure by a factor of 5 or 10 over the mini?

Like Richard Dennis said, when you start out you want to be just about the worst trader you can be (meaning nowhere to go but up).

7. stu

stu

I don't want to get ya nervous Aphe but ....DON'T MESS THIS UP

I am countin' on ya too to show the world that it is still perfectly possible for even the newbies to win in a zero sum game.

Remember, there won't be 14k people watching ALL of the time

May the gods of Good Trading be with you !

8. It looks easier than it is.

9. mgkrebs

mgkrebs

One problem there, can't daytrade. Thanks SEC.

10. I had that exact same feeling when I took my series 7 back in the day, knowing that as soon as I pressed the finish button my results would come back instantly. Win or lose, right in the face.

Ironically, the actual experience of jumping out of a plane is not that frightening. Looking out at the setting sun on the horizon- from 12000 feet up with the wind blowing in your face- is just too surreal to entertain fear.

#10     Oct 16, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.