The "this is economic stimulus?" Thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hapaboy, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Mav88

Mav88

liberals are using the situation to advance their agenda, very risky...

#11     Jan 28, 2009
  2. TGregg

TGregg

Risky? Not hardly. The masses are screaming for more government. The more government we get, the worse the economy is. The worse the economy is, the louder people scream for more government. It's win/win/win for the democrats. Lose/lose/lose for the citizens, but it's what the citizens are asking for.

#12     Jan 28, 2009
  3. If you propose a tax cut (ie corporate tax rate), the pols ask how will we make up the lost revenue yet if you add dollars to a program no one asks how it will be paid for. (sigh) I'm lost on the math.

I'm still trying to figure out how we paid for the TSA. We hired an army of people for homeland security.

#13     Jan 28, 2009
  4. I think all of it goes straight to ACORN no questions asked in one gigantic-assed check...Ed McMahon style.

Or at least that's what I heard on MSM right-wing media.

#14     Jan 28, 2009
  5. Maybe not all at once, Doc, but still....$4+ billion for ACORN?!?

#15     Jan 29, 2009
  6. No not at all haps. Total right-wing media myth.

Ask Waggie he'll look up the Bill for you. I don't want to steal his thunder.

#16     Jan 29, 2009
  7. Well if that's not the case, I'd like to know.

Is the $80 billion for Medicaid another myth, too?

#17     Jan 29, 2009
  8. Mav88

Mav88

Just heard Howard Dean on the tube. He reminds me again why I hate him and his kind. He said that republican votes against the bailout show that they won't be bipartisan. Bitch Pelosi bragged about how they alone wrote the bill, then the horses'ass Dean says the republicans won't play ball.

I think they will set up another republican revolution.

#18     Jan 29, 2009
  9. fhl

fhl

"the $800 billion-plus economic stimulus measure could steer government checks to illegal immigrants.

Republican officials are concerned that the Democratic-written legislation makes people who came to the United States illegally eligible for tax credits of $500 per worker and $1,000 per couple.

A House-passed version of the bill and one making its way through the Senate both disqualify nonresident aliens from receiving the credits. But neither requires a worker to have a Social Security number to get the credits.

An economic aid measure enacted in February 2008 that sent rebates to most wage earners required that people have valid Social Security numbers in order to get checks."

*got this from some newspaper

#19     Jan 29, 2009
  10. crickets chirping...

In the meantime, per CNN, the GOP just released this list of questionable items in the Senate version of the "stimulus" package:

• $2 billion earmark to re-start FutureGen, a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Department of Energy defunded last year because it said the project was inefficient.

• A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.

• $650 million for the digital television converter box coupon program.

• $88 million for the Coast Guard to design a new polar icebreaker (arctic ship).

• $448 million for constructing the Department of Homeland Security headquarters.

• $248 million for furniture at the new Homeland Security headquarters.

• $600 million to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees.

• $400 million for the Centers for Disease Control to screen and prevent STD's.

• $1.4 billion for rural waste disposal programs.
    Don't Miss

* GOP senators draft stimulus alternative

• $125 million for the Washington sewer system.

• $150 million for Smithsonian museum facilities.

• $1 billion for the 2010 Census, which has a projected cost overrun of $3 billion.

• $75 million for "smoking cessation activities."

• $200 million for public computer centers at community colleges.

• $75 million for salaries of employees at the FBI.

• $25 million for tribal alcohol and substance abuse reduction.

• $500 million for flood reduction projects on the Mississippi River.

• $10 million to inspect canals in urban areas.

• $6 billion to turn federal buildings into "green" buildings.

• $500 million for state and local fire stations.

• $650 million for wildland fire management on forest service lands.

• $1.2 billion for "youth activities," including youth summer job programs.

• $88 million for renovating the headquarters of the Public Health Service.

• $412 million for CDC buildings and property.

• $500 million for building and repairing National Institutes of Health facilities in Bethesda, Maryland.

• $160 million for "paid volunteers" at the Corporation for National and Community Service.

• $5.5 million for "energy efficiency initiatives" at the Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration.

• $850 million for Amtrak.

• $100 million for reducing the hazard of lead-based paint.

• $75 million to construct a "security training" facility for State Department Security officers when they can be trained at existing facilities of other agencies.

• $110 million to the Farm Service Agency to upgrade computer systems.

• $200 million in funding for the lease of alternative energy vehicles for use on military installations.

#20     Feb 3, 2009