The thing about "day trading"

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Maharaja, May 6, 2004.

1. I guess having friends, a family with children and a social life more than weighs up for not contributing professionally ...
    Just to point out another long-lived and popular perspective. Not everyone are marxist followers trying to build a better ant-hill.

:p

#61     May 10, 2004
  2. Probably the best post I've seen in awhile why one would be a trader.

Last time I checked, clock punching Joe or Dr. Happy isn't changing the world. They are there to perform their function, that is all. They are but cogs in the wheel.

Shadows and dust, Maximus, Shadows and Dust !!!

#62     May 10, 2004
  3. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Maharaja;
    Not going to split time frame hairs with you ;
    but doing last bear market did somewhat more short term trading & consider most any trading honorable work in a honorable profession.

Hey know Doctors, teachers,& several Rabbi that consider it a promotion to trade/invest.

Its good for Traders /investors to have different time frames for liquidity;
    free enterprize helps kep the nation free.
    I am like you if i lived in India would want to move to America also.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I wonder if you are actually near a great discovery;
    no matter what kind of % you make in derivitives or any trading-
    trading is important work.

But work is not LIFE unless you check/blow your brains out near the door;
    work is part of life.

Where no counsel is the people fall;
    but in a multitude of counselors there is safety.
    Solomon,trader king

#63     May 11, 2004

4. Before I started DT, I was among other jobs a a manager of a large plastics plant.

In that job, we had a payroll of over $10 million a year, we hired local contractors for various jobs for roughly the same amount, and spent about 30 Million a year in capital projects that used local labor and suppliers. The point is this facility contributed significantly to the economy of the small town it was located in.

Some of these projects were designed to reduce pollution and were very successful at reaching that goal, to the point we had fish living in our wastwater treatment ponds. Air pollution was highly regulated and our emissions were very low.

The point is, you might think that would make one happy. On the contrary: Our reward was picket lines by environmental groups who did not know and did not care to know what was actually going on. They created a "straw man" of chemical plants = big pollution and painted us on TV and in the papers as such.

A few local residents and their buddies in the press were always badmouthing us: Their real goal-get us to buyout their nearby property at a value many times above its market value. This included frivolous lawsuits.

Pollution regulations became so bizarre, we had to have a quarterly designated "felon" who signed reports that ran to nearly 100 pages and were based on complex engineering calculations. THe law said if you did it incorrectly, you were subject to criminal prosecution. THe reality was and I guess still is that the engineers who did these calculations had no idea whether all were done correctly and accurately, meaning each report had actionable errors that could send the designated felon to jail.

So, I jumped when I was offered an opportunity to retire early with a "silver parachute."

I find DT far less stressful and I don't have to commute and I get to see my family for dinner everyday; while working I was lucky if I had dinner with them once or twice a week.

DS

#64     May 11, 2004
  5. LiL"C"

LiL"C"

Who cares how people make their money. As long as they make it and they can support their family or undercover lover and they're happy what's the big deal.

#65     May 11, 2004
  6. BSAM

BSAM

Hey LiL.....

Check out these terms in a good dictionary:

their
    there
    they're

Otherwise, I somewhat agree with what I think you meant.

#66     May 11, 2004
  7. pspr

pspr

Yeah, but it bugs us edjumacated folks when you start mix'in your theirs and theres.

#67     May 11, 2004
  8. LiL"C"

LiL"C"

Got it thanks

#68     May 11, 2004
  9. pspr

pspr

Hey, ES. Don't be sturrin' up no trouble. :confused:

#69     May 11, 2004

10. Go back to flipping burgers pal.

Traders are a unique bunch. I guess your not cut out for trading. Are you trying to make us feel bad? LOL

Sorry dude don't mean to waste your time, especially since you are contributing lots to society.

Hurry up man theres someone at your drive thru window.

:D

#70     May 11, 2004