The thing about "day trading"

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Maharaja, May 6, 2004.

1. s0Lo

s0Lo

Yea, I hope I got my point across, which is that most people strive to do something they love for a living while also getting some monetary compensation. So in that view, trading certainly fulfills that.

Bottom line - if you're doing what you like and making buck...who cares? :p

#31     May 6, 2004
  2. nkhoi

nkhoi

Award for innovative techniques in program optimization and being the only student to beat professor’s code size during that course (I quote your resume because I did the same in C, thinking back I say who care, lol)

I have the identical stuff on my resume, you should get some university job and list what you done on top, minimize the rest under hard ware/soft ware/operating system head lines. no matter how you think how impressive your courses work is, just remember that there are thousand other guys just went thru the same and their resume look pretty much like your

#32     May 6, 2004
  3. Maharaja,

I don't think it bothers most...probably as much as any other job.

My stepfather worked as a retail trader, floor trader and finally the Federal Reserve.

I grew up around traders prior to becoming one myself...went to private school with some of their children.

I guess we (as kids and now as adults) never sat down and wonder what value our parents had to society nor do I remember listening to them having philosophical discussions about the essence of their jobs.

Good night all.

NihabaAshi

#33     May 6, 2004
  4. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

No every trader starts out of college .. I was in Engineering 19 years and left to trade 8+ years ago. So I did do something "value added" for all those years. And the freedom from trading allows me to volunteer and try to give back to my community. I tutor, mentor and couldn't do those things when I was in the corporate world. So I do feel good about what I do. The by-product of trading successfully is having choices.

#34     May 6, 2004
  5. i have alot of respect and commend all people who partake in this type of game. cos the risk to reward kinda sucks... most people fail. if you make it, you are winner. you are a survivor and a success. congratulations to all of you who dedicated your time and did something with it.

#35     May 6, 2004
  6. I honestly look forward to making hand crafted furniture someday......perhaps I'll try to build a Platonic lin of chairs.

grimer11

#36     May 7, 2004
  7. m_c_a98

m_c_a98

Imagine the price of a McDonalds hamburger costing $5 one week, $2 the next, and $10 the next...........

or how about the Dow Jones Industrials falling 500 points one day without an opportunity for investors to sell their stock in between.

The financial markets are an integral part of the global economy and are essential in the stability going forward. The financial markets(specifically futures) are vehicles for hedging and risk management. They also function to provide very effective price discovery.

Traders fill the gap in the marketplace(liquidity) so the hedgers can hedge, or investors can transact their investments.

comprendas?.....

#37     May 7, 2004
  8. buylo

buylo

Trading is a craft like any other job in the world. If you treat trading like a job, it can be rewarding. Hedge fund managers wish to make money, like myself. Many "investors" and "hedge fund managers" started out taking small positions and not carrying things overnight, aka, a daytrader. But, through persistence and hard work they were able to spot value and capitalize on it. They then kept increasing their size/hold time and became the investors, hedge fund managers, and pillars of society that they are today. The commitment needed to become a full time trader is large. Homework and discipline are more a part of our job than some 9 to 5 schmuck in marketing.

Good luck worrying about what Bob in the accounting department said about you to your boss. While I am planning my next vacation, I will think about you wearing a noose around your neck.....I mean a tie.....and hope you have enough pics of your girlfriend in your cubicle. As a former part of the rat race, my only wish is that I would have gotten out that crap a lot earlier in my life and started trading a hell of a lot earlier.

PS - I am looking for 200+ jobs report tomorrow and hoping Reuters and Yahoo don't pull the same crap they did the last 2 payroll reports. Faulty time stamp my a--.

#38     May 7, 2004
  9. very well said buylo.

grimer11

#39     May 7, 2004
  10. djinney

djinney

Well, you are correct and incorrect at the same time.

Moral values are about knowing what is Good and what is Bad.

If people believe that stealing is "Good" they have their moral values all messed up. To avoid this, it is all the more important that people find the correct moral values.

Correct moral values are rational moral values not some arbitrary rules that society, or faith, or whatever group you submit to, imposes on you. They are determined by your thinking.

People who say they don't have moral values, pretend that they don't know what is Good from Bad. :confused:

Don't put everybody in the same bag. You cannot compare a CEO who is cheating, lying and exploiting people to a CEO who drives a successful company that provides good services/products.
    In a free market, any competitor can come up and ditch the lying scumbag if they provide better service... now the problem is that the market is not so free with all this Government intervention (hence corruption, lobbies, blah blah).

Oh, and you are right. "Intelligence" does not equal good morals. It is morals that dictate the use of "intelligence" thus the existence of good smart and ingenious men and bad cunning *blip* :)

So whoever says morals are worthless, you better check your definition of morals... :D

#40     May 7, 2004