The Theory of Edge Diminishing

Discussion in 'Trading' started by .sigma, Dec 7, 2019.

1. .sigma

.sigma

I've always enjoyed gambling/trading similarities and metaphors.

But the odds/payout of lets say blackjack is different than trading Snapchat. Very different in fact, yes the market adjusts but so do you as a trader.

#51     Dec 9, 2019
  2. %%
    Actually public info can help you Sigma;
    200 day moving average/IBD/Investors Business Daily proves that. But like the other elite noted =one good billion dollar fund manager could goof you up; + turning points are not very liquid anyway- even in liquid markets.

Some money making methods are not easy to goof up;
    buying/investing loNg term to make millions, still works, trading is much different. And there are so many different kinds of 200 dma,different vendors,200 ma, simple, smoothed, weighted, exp moving average.......................................................................................... But like my banker/Christian dad warned =dont tell everything you know!!

#52     Dec 9, 2019
    .sigma likes this.
  3. %%
    MR SIGMA ; [1ST ]; trading /investing is not gambling; to prove that start counting cards /winning in the silver state= see how far you get,LOL] WE jerked quarters out of a pool hall,as youngsters; so that is why some commercial traders use quarters/levels?? {HINT, that reason is nonsense; even if some use/profit with quarters]`

AT '' the turn point on a super liquid'' ETF like QQQ, ANY size moves QQQ; if you cant grasp that , then try 10 years of reality/chart study= you will get it by then, most likely??. OF course a small cap or med cap stock can be much worse of better ,depending on ones trend analysis.

Tough thing about trading;
    as they say in Chicago-the smarter you are-- the longer it takes .LOL:cool::cool:, :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

#53     Dec 9, 2019
    .sigma likes this.
  4. wmwmw

wmwmw

Talking about my prediction on 10 years bond:

"I now make a prediction here that 10 years bond will rally big for the next a few weeks.
    And this kind of prediction doesn't depend on any trading ability. It is simply a knowledge that market participants do not know. If they know, 10 years bond would not drop for the past a few days."
    https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/the-theory-of-edge-diminishing.338469/page-3

I was not saying for the next a few weeks, there would be one or two day that 10 years bond would have big up days.

My prediction should satisfy 3 things:
    1. For the next a few weeks, 10 years bond will be significantly higher than its 12/3/2019 high;
    2.During this period, its 12/6/2019 low will not be broken;
    3. It is a continuous rally during which up days significantly outnumber down days.

If any of above 3 things is not satisfied, my prediction would be considered failed.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    #54     Dec 10, 2019
  5. Sig

Sig

And this reveals a complete and utter lack of understanding of basic statistics. Because you see I can have a hundred random number generators throw out 10 year bond "predictions" like yours and the first period about 50 of them would have, by your measures of success, correctly "predicted" the future results. At the end of the second period, about 25 would have been right 2 weeks in a row. Or depending on how many criteria you add, the numbers may be less but still positive given enough random generators. And so on... keeping in mind none of them actually "predicted" anything, they just generated a random choice. Yet using your standards of success, you would attribute incredible predictive skills to the random generators that by pure random chance were correct for several periods in a row. Even worse, you appear to think simply being correct once somehow "proves" some kind of predictive skill. You've been fooled by randomnesses, highly suggest you go read the book of the same title. Turns out it's a basic human instinct you have to train yourself not to do.

#55     Dec 10, 2019
    .sigma and murray t turtle like this.

6. Wow, very interesting on the Pattern Probability System Handle 123. Sounds like an interesting system to understand if for no other reason to see what used to work but which does no longer. I googled - is it this? Out of print for long time.

Curtis Arnold's PPS Trading System: A Proven Method for Consistently Beating the Market

#56     Dec 11, 2019
  7. SteveH

SteveH

For realz. No such thing as "disappearing edge" in a trend on a volatile instrument. There's trends galore on a 1 min NQ in the mornings.

#57     Dec 11, 2019
  8. tomorton

tomorton

1 min? Don't think I've ever even opened a M1 chart.

but this must be something you're familiar with - lot of people say TA features on such a small time-frame are illusionary - with so many bars per hour and per day, its inevitable you going to see uptrends and downtrends and head and shoulders and double tops etc. etc. but they don't mean anything.

What's your view based on your own trading?

#58     Dec 11, 2019
    .sigma likes this.
  9. .sigma

.sigma

The market is fractal. What you see in one time-frame occurs in all. Longer-time frames have and build the emphasis/setups for the shorter time frame.

Find which time frame best curtails to your personality and strategy.

#59     Dec 12, 2019
  10. tomorton

tomorton

I don't accept that market behaviour is infinitely fractal at infinitely smaller time-frames.

#60     Dec 13, 2019