The Theory of Edge Diminishing

Discussion in 'Trading' started by .sigma, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Sig

Sig

Hit a nerve did we? Perhaps the one who is scared by idea of testable results shouldn't be throwing stones about "zero understanding of market [sic]".

#31     Dec 7, 2019
  2. qlai

qlai

#32     Dec 7, 2019
    MACD likes this.
  3. SunTrader

SunTrader

This topic seems mostly about ... who has an edge in a pissing contest.

#33     Dec 7, 2019
  4. #34     Dec 7, 2019
  5. .sigma

.sigma

I like your reply but its not realistic.

I'm talking context. An ET'er who gives this forum his "edge". Could his edge theoretically become arbed just by posting his strategy on an internet forum? Is that even realistic?

#35     Dec 7, 2019
  6. .sigma

.sigma

Are you serious? You don't open a second account because you think you'll arb your own strategy?

Sometimes a few hundred shares will move bid/ask a few cents? Which underlying is this?

If your profit margin is 1-2 cents are you day trading?

#36     Dec 7, 2019
  7. Handle123

Handle123

I have forgotten name of a trader who had very good methods back in the 1990's, he use to use TV ticker tape to find the highs after so much time and do a breakout of the S&P500 futures, he use to post I believe to "Club 3000" and he wrote a thin manuals for cheap costs cause he got tired of all the methods being sold for $3,000, once the manual was sold, guys in the pit caused protective stops to be hit on and off for over years time, so he wrote another manual to offer different entries and that one wasn't any better.

In 1989, Curtis Arnold made a method called "Pattern Probability System", selling it at $3,000, in 1993 he had it programmable and then he wrote a book in 1995 and masses had it and the pit would nail the protective stops. I believe the feds nailed him on some ballooned advertising, but the first few years, it was doing very well, I had even bought it.

I think very few get their edge in first few years, they gone through much mental anguish, financial losses, lose of time for family and themselves. Comes down to why hand others your edges as they not put in the effort or discovered for themselves, perhaps they refuse to learn how to program? If you have one or few golden gooses, keep it to yourself, and you won't have to compete and getting worst fills. You family comes first.

#37     Dec 7, 2019
    Slope Trader and .sigma like this.
  8. i am day trading. lots of stocks with trading volume even in million shares will be moved by a few hundred shares, e.g., sina. nowadays the bid and ask quotes are smart and small enough that a few hundreds shares will move the market a few cents.

#38     Dec 7, 2019
    d08 likes this.
  9. .sigma

.sigma

Well that exactly proves my point. If just a few hundred shares can move spot a few cents like you claim that helps my position regardless. I'm not seeing anyone prove to me that theres actual proof that exposing your strategy makes your edge disappear. Of course there might be examples on a large scale but like I've said, i'm talking about Elitetrader! Not some big time guy teaching thousands of people.

#39     Dec 7, 2019
  10. Sig

Sig

You seem stuck on this "thousands of people" idea. It's number of dollars than moves markets, not number of people. That's why any real edge gets arb'd away instantly when anyone with scale learns of it. It only takes one, not thousands.

#40     Dec 7, 2019
    SunTrader, Axon, Nobert and 1 other person like this.