The Theory of Edge Diminishing

Discussion in 'Trading' started by .sigma, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Zodiac4u

Zodiac4u

Oh i get it? its that English influence on your culture, man its time to spread your own wings and shape your own destiny. I'll be turning you into a Pirate in no time.:D

#101     Dec 20, 2019
  2. .sigma

.sigma

I've always been fascinated with Bollinger bands, as well as ketler channels and other methods of plotting price volatility on charts.

Indicators like BBands are mostly interpreted wrongly by those who "use" them.

In my opinion, I actually use Bollinger-Band Width more so than the bands itself, the BBWidth shows me the current spread between actual-vol and this is good info to know.

#102     Jan 19, 2020
    Zodiac4u likes this.
  3. %%
    Trend folloWer, bottom or top picker; or seed pickers like the wild birds i feed. I throW more feed for them in fall,winter + spring=strong seasonals:cool::cool:,:caution::caution::caution::caution::caution::caution::caution:

#103     Jan 20, 2020
  4. %%OK.
    Hint ;a billionaire trend folloWer noted what you call ''luck'' i call a small sample.Get rich quick/free seldom works....................................................................................

#104     Jan 20, 2020
  5. Zodiac4u

Zodiac4u

For me, trading wise i don't use the bands. If you trade just a couple hours a day, you can easily use your eyes to determine if the channel is narrow, wide or expanding upward or downward. I don't need Bollinger to show me what my eyes are already seeing, But personally I find that the less squiggles i have on my screen the better off i am. I'll sometime throw up an Moving average to tell me where the momentum is and than I'll delete it during chop.

#105     Jan 20, 2020
  6. .sigma

.sigma

inagree man. I use all these indicators for second hand confirmations of what price is telling me. But I do use bollinger band width as a proxy to see how realized vol expands as spot drops. Eventually there will be an inflection point where the width can only diverge so wide until it almost elastically bounces back like rubber, hence the name “bands”

#106     Jan 20, 2020
  7. Here's some results of a system that was praised and written about in various blogs right up until about late 2014. The indicator was first revealed in 2009. After 2014 we didn't see much about it anymore in the blogosphere, as the system performed poorly since then.

[​IMG]

This is an older blog post, when the system was perceived as hot. It's based on a custom TA indicator called DVI. Full implementation and details can be found from the same blog.

It is also possible that systems decay just because the markets no longer follow the same underlying behavior that they were optimized over.

*Note above system based on 10k starting account and commission = 0.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    #107     Jan 20, 2020
    beginner66 and .sigma like this.