The Tao of Publias

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by PubliasEnigma, Jul 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitro

nitro

Commisso,

I can't get used to Publias - the name that is - the Philosophy is Commisso himself...I like it...

nitro

#71     Aug 15, 2002
  2. smokey_mcPaat

smokey_mcPaat Guest

publias- did you say you are 22 years old?? you should really quit posting on elitetrader and go out and chase some puss- get it while you are young and don't have to pay for it yet- trust me- take advantage of the young, eager women out there and you won't be sorry :D you post so much that you are the only one that can use colors on this site. well, thats just my view.......

#72     Aug 15, 2002
  3. Pabst

Pabst

I'm gonna stay on the good side of Publias. Anyone that young (I once was), that talented (I once was), and that level headed ( I NEVER was) could be Buffet by the time he's forty. No wonder it's so hard these days. You've got these kids out there who not only can pull the trigger intelligently, but are self reflective to boot. Makes me wish I had drawn a few thousand less bongs at that age.

#73     Aug 15, 2002
  4. smokey_mcPaat

smokey_mcPaat Guest

i hear ya brother- and that pabst blue ribbon shit doesnt help either........but at least when i take bong rips before trading, i am calm and objective- i can trade and be detached from my P/L- its when i have my best days- last week i made $2600 in the hour after i took a few fatties :D

#74     Aug 15, 2002
  5. Publias

Publias Guest

Hey man whatever works for you :p Some meditate to help reach a state of detachment and some take bong hits!

#75     Aug 15, 2002
  6. rs7

rs7

I like that Publias talks about "fear" in a tone that does not use the word. Respect and vigilance are better.

To paraphrase Mark Douglas from "Trading in the Zone", one must be fearless, but not reckless. For me, it was the essence of the book.

My .02,
    RS7 (an older guy with colors....but thanks to my friend Publia):)

#76     Aug 15, 2002
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

I find a good workout in the morning to be just what I need to grab the bull by the horns.....gets my mind ready and focused and my blood flowing with a nice positive feeling...

#77     Aug 15, 2002
  8. rs7

rs7

Do some get intimidated into removing colors from their signatures? C'mon, you were leading by example!!!! What happened?

:)RS

#78     Aug 15, 2002
  9. I appreciate that candle's statement that I responded to is representative of the eastern philosophies you both appear to subsribe to, and not simply his own musings. I hope that doesn't mean you consider these philosophies beyond reproach.

Since candle (et al) is implicitly stating that the ego actually exists, I really would like to hear the justification for such a belief - from either of you. In the form, I belief this/because; rather than just a report of a pyschological state, ie, "this is what I think (I feel)".

More so, I would like to see the specific points I brought up addressed. I assure you that meaningful, constuctive dialogue would be the result. My mind is made up, yes, but made up rationally; and therefore not irrevocably made up.

At least, I hope you could address my most pressing concern with you ego theory, as stated by candle: that we are somehow absolved of responsibility from our actions, because it is only our "ego" that makes us think we are responsible for them. (I hope the suggestion isn't that we are merely predestined pawns, part of some greater grand design of some supernatural being...ugghh)

With regards to the Einstein quote.. i'd be interested to hear just WHEN he said that..since I have other material where he states he never believed in God..

PS- "Daniele" .....cute. Publias, i promise to refrain from ad hominems if you do..ok?

#79     Aug 15, 2002
  10. stu

stu

I hope you don't mind my chipping in Publias.

I find myself agreeing entirely with daniel_m on the issues raised in this thread.

However, should I learn any profound and meaningful insights from understanding his reasoning, I wouldn't follow him nor would I go on to subscribe to any group or faiths he may or may not belong to.

If I ever learned or understood anything from Bhagavad-Gita it would never be the next rational step for me to follow it with the followers.

This infantile requirement to prop up ones fear of existence or search for a truth by embracing one cult or another, or indeed any fixed way of understanding, is what I consider holds back humanity.

You don't do it when you trade Publias, why do it elsewhere?
    I bet you don't think the holy grail of trading is TA. Why should the holy grail to seeking truth of oneself be in Gita?

To use such "teachings" as a guide where it helps you, or where it may help you to help others is fine, but I submit that a humane approach to nature and fellow human beings does all that any doctrine faiths can ever achieve.

No eastern or western beliefs should substitue humanity's never ending desire to question everything and accept nothing as a given.

One's ego can be an inflated pride or more usefully, the awareness of your own identity. It can be both or either. The result of all our actions stem from our consciousness. We are meant to exist. We are meant to use our ego if that's what you want to call it. It is perfectly feasible that in the long picture we are supposed to act the way we do. It may be that it's what nature intends.

Being truely unafraid of being alive and not knowing any of the real answers may be the beginning or the end. It may not. But to see patterns where they don't exist nor work, is a sure way to miss the point of life and perhaps more importantly, trading. :)

That type of philosophy may just be a step nearer. Then again it may not.

Don't mind my rant..... I don't mean to sound aggressive :)

#80     Aug 15, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.