The Tao of Publias

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by PubliasEnigma, Jul 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Publias

Publias Guest

Uhhhhhh, pretty sure I answered it on the last page :)

#61     Aug 14, 2002
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

I will need to take a peek at this GITA. Maybe one day, I also will be a able to make a contribution to your thread.

#62     Aug 14, 2002
  3. Publias

Publias Guest

El Cubano,

You do not need to read the Gita to make a contribution here my friend... Gita will only help you realize what is already inside of you :)

Feel free to post away on anything you feel like!

PEACE and good trading El Cubano,
    Publias

#63     Aug 14, 2002
  4. Mr Publias, with your permission, I would like to respond to some of candle's driv...er.. "theorising"... Of course, if you don't want me to "pollute" your thread with a more accurate description of the way the world "is", I'll butt out..

candledude, what exactly IS an ego? do everyone have one? do I have one? how would I identify it??
    fact is, there's really no such thing as an "ego"... it's just another bit of unnecessary Freudian pyschobabble fluff. just substitue the word "mind" or "brain" for ego.... that way we can take a more "scientific" (not strictly scientific) approach to problem solving..

to suggest that mankind himself is not the "doer of his actions" is quite a stretch. i'd love to hear you elaborate further on exactly how you reached this amazing conclusion..

you also mistakenly assume that mankind is indeed embarked on a "spiritual endeavour" (to which, you say, the "ego" can be an impediment). I, for one, most certainly am not.

what exactly is "spirituality" or a "spiritual experience"? Is not simply a state of mind,..or, if you like, an "altered" state of mind...similar to, for example, a marijuana induced "high"? why should such a feeling be the ultimate goal of man? i see no inherent reason for it..

if feeling "spiritual" helps you in your pursuit of personal happiness, fine, be spiritual...seek spirituality...but realise that it's nothing more than a means to an end. And end (happiness) that can be achieved in a multitude of different ways..

#64     Aug 14, 2002
  5. Daniel_M, I remember your support in another thread with regards to Islamic Fundamentalism... thank you for your support there... we both agreed that Islamic Fundamentalism was a threat to civilised norms....

However, I see here that you are labeling my appreciation of Buddhism, Hinduism, and Taoism as "drivel".... we find ourselves opposed on this issue, my friend... all I can suggest to you is that you read the teachings of these peaceful and introspective philosophies with an open mind, and appreciate the value encapsulated within them... one you have carefully read the Gita, for example, we can then continue our discussion... until then, any debate cannot be constructive... best of luck with your trading endeavors...

#65     Aug 14, 2002
  6. Publias

Publias Guest

Daniel,

First off, it is only fair to start off by saying that those are not Candles words... It is a passage taken from 'The Bhagavad Gita'...

Secondly, you are VERYwelcome on my thread, as long of course as you try and show a little respect toward the other contributors :)

I have to go eat and then run an erron or two, but when I return later on tonight perhaps I may indulge in a disscussion of the "ego" with you :)

PEACE and goodtrading,
    Publias

#66     Aug 14, 2002
  7. publias,

thanks for a very insightful and entertaining thread, my neighbor. however, i must take issue with the napoleon qoute, "he who fears being conquered is sure of defeat". if one does not "fear" being conquered by whatever, whoever, or ones own self there is no reason to prepare for "battle". the marketsurfer wisdom teaches that "fear" is a needed component for winning.

best,

surf:cool:

#67     Aug 14, 2002
  8. Publias

Publias Guest

Probably just a matter of semantics here MS, but your post does not make much sense to me.

For me there is an enormous difference between fearing her and respecting her. I am ever respectful of what damage she can do if I allow her to, but I am never afraid of her...

Fear is a hindrance, humility and respect is what keeps me in check! The lack of fear is what enables me to get in their everyday and strike without a seconds reflection. I am not afraid of the risk, nor am I afraid of losing! Risk is opportunity, and ultimately the one thing that will enable us to win in this game. I embrace risk and I am resolved of any and all losses from the get go...

I am not afraid of what she can do to me, nor am I afraid of losing. I am only afraid of what I may allow her to do to me...

Don't know if any of this makes sense to you, but this is my truth!

PEACE and good trading my friend and neighbor :)
    Publias

#68     Aug 14, 2002
  9. Publias

Publias Guest

You know after re-reading your post Daniele, I am going to have to go with Candle on this one. I simply do not see how anything constructive can come out of a discussion with you about these topics; for your mind already seems to be made up...

Your prior post sums up the "ego" better than I ever could...

I will leave you with a few quotes by IMO three of the greatest minds the western and eastern world have ever known...
    I mind you they are speaking in regards to the above quoted passage by Candle that you so humbly caste off as pure drivel...

"When I read the Bhagavad-Gita and reflect about how God created this universe everything else seems so superfluous."
    ~Einstein~

"I owed a magnificent day to the Bhagavad-gita. It was the first of books; it was as if an empire spoke to us, nothing small or unworthy, but large, serene, consistent, the voice of an old intelligence which in another age and climate had pondered and thus disposed of the same questions which exercise us."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

"In the morning I bathe my intellect in the stupendous and cosmogonal philosophy of the Bhagavad-gita, in comparison with which our modern world and its literature seem puny and trivial... Beside [it] even our Shakespere seems sometimes youthfully green and practical merely."
    ~Henry David Thoreau~

I suppose it could be that Candle and I along with Al, Ralph, Henry, and countless millions of others throughout the centuries have all just been deluding ourselves by embracing the wisdom of the ancient sages of the east, but through my own direct experience with it I am 99.9999999% sure we are not...

PEACE and good trading,
    Publias

#69     Aug 14, 2002
  10. Publias:

You once told me that if I don't have an edge, no discipline in the world would help me with my trading.

Let's suppose now I have the edge. :) I guess I am supposed to trade it without reflection whenever she allows me to, and cut the losers short. Anything else?

In short, which would be the next step, my friend? :)

PEACE and good trading,

Negotiator

P.S.: Hope you don't mind me using your usual post ending. I like it as I understand that peace leads to good trading. Peace is also my signature in Latin.

#70     Aug 15, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.