The Tao of Publias II

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Publias, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Wouldn't that imply that the act of thinking itself is not possible without words?
    I disagree that without words certain things cannot be 'known' (understood). Words are only a tool for sharing our thoughts with others (although they do facilitate thinking). Certainly I can feel a certain emotion but not have a word for it. The fact that I can not adequately articulate how it feels to another person does not mean that I haven't felt it.

Having said that, I do believe that after our brain becomes accustomed to thinking in 'language', certain thought patterns become more ingrained, whilst others - for which there is either non-existant or seldom used language - are seldom experienced.

There are, in the English language, thousands of words that describe various emotions. The fact (?) that most people use only a small percentage of them does, I guess, mean that most are living within an arbitrarily narrow emotional range.

#31     Aug 24, 2002
  2. Publias

Publias Guest

Now this I can attest to from my direct experience with the game of trading :D

Publias

#32     Aug 24, 2002
  3. everyone, thanks for shedding some light on the fascinating concept of lanquage creating reality---or not.

a seeker of truth,

surf:)

#33     Aug 24, 2002
    #34     Aug 24, 2002
  5. Publias

Publias Guest

"Smiles form the channel of a future tear." ~Lord Byron~

If you allow yourself to become haughty and prideful in times of good fortune what shall happen when its anti-thesis comes to visit; for the seed has already been planted...

THIS IS MY TRUTH
    Publias

#35     Aug 26, 2002
  6. Publias

Publias Guest

"If you seek vengeance, dig two graves" ~Proverb~

To stand upright is to be in discord. If there is conflict you can be sure that her indomitable spirit will have the last laugh.

THIS IS MY TRUTH
    Publias

#36     Aug 26, 2002
  7. Publias

Publias Guest

"When you trade your monitor will do a funny thing. It will become a mirror."

~Rogue Trader; Elitetrader 2002~

[​IMG].
    ~M.C. Escher; Hand with Reflecting Sphere 1935~

THIS IS MY TRUTH (Expressed by Rogue Trader & M.C. Escher)
    Publias

#37     Aug 26, 2002
  8. THIS IS MY TRUTH---------> Publias [/B][/QUOTE]

NO-WAY----------------------------------------------UNC.

"When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do."
    -William Blake

"The object of the superior man is truth."
    -Confucius

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
    -Conan Doyle

"No one is entitled to the truth."
    -E. Howard Hunt

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad."
    -Aldous Huxley

"It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

"All great truths begin as blasphemies."
    -George Bernard Shaw

"Be true to your work, your word, and your friend."
    -Henry David Thoreau

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
    -Oscar Wilde

#38     Aug 26, 2002

9. Right On!

I just stumbled in here and Publias I must say that what you speak of above is some trizzue shiznit. Well spoken...two quick thoughts:

some of my best ideas and concepts are the ones hardest to verbally express. Usually I get a flavor or an image long before I get the words to peg it down (if I ever do).

Re emotions, I have had the experience of some very wacky combinations. For example, there have been situations- usually trading or discovery related- where I have found myself angry, happy, depressed and excited all at the same time. Crazy combinations that make no sense, like jellybean beer or steak ice cream. The limitations of words and language dull our tongues and our sense of touch. If we are not careful those limitations can dull our minds too.

So the moral is, Think outside the box! (case in point- I can't stand that lame five cent expression but can't think of a better one at moment LOL)

#39     Aug 26, 2002

10. nope, cuz humans ain't the source, they're just small scale derivatives of the source

'if a tree falls in the forest etc' is a false paradox because there is always someone there to 'hear it' (and to keep the rules in play)

and now back to your regularly scheduled koans :cool:

#40     Aug 27, 2002