'The Story of Stuff' - Prove Her Wrong

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ByLoSellHi, May 11, 2009.

1. In her planned obsolescence segment I quote

"I opened up a big desktop computer to see what's inside and I found out that the piece that changes each year is just a tiny little piece in the corner. But you can't just change that one piece because each new version is a new shape so you gotta chuck the whole thing a buy a new one."

This is a easy softball pitch. The last generation of Intel chips were the same shape since 2004 till late last year.

She also says each of us are targeted with more than 3000 advertisements a day. That number greatly varies from study to study 850, 1500, and 500-1000 according to this research http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=56750 (only taking account of the academic studies). She cited a magazine and a single author in that 3000 figure.

#11     May 11, 2009
  2. when you take yourself out the system... and try to live as minimally as possible, you will be amazed at the transformation your body undergoes...

mentally and physically..

the best way is to move away from society to a undeveloped tropical island.

#12     May 11, 2009
  3. That's the same as saying "we only lost 500,000 jobs instead of 600,000"

#13     May 11, 2009
  4. Nope, more like "we lost 192,500 instead of 600,000" if you ratio the numbers. Sounds much better right? Or are your rose color glasses are fogging up again?

#14     May 11, 2009
  5. Mister_doodi, you're absolutely correct. She obviously can't tell the difference between DDR2 800 and DDR2 533 memory or a Core 2 Quad 9450 and Core i7 920 for that matter . They may all "look" the same, but there has been much technological progress every year in computers.

#15     May 11, 2009
  6. No, it's more like one person saying "I think we're going to lose 500k jobs instead of 600k." Both are conjecture and single-sourced data is useless.

#16     May 11, 2009
  7. Illum

Illum

I truly believe Darwinism was a strong cause of the Holocaust. I of course believe in Darwinism but I would never take it to the conclusion that some humans are better than others. If you take some of these beliefs to a conclusion you can have dangerous consequences. What if these people start to believe there are too many people on this earth, and imminent change is necessary? Slippery slope. I fear this rabid environmental push will have some consequences.

#17     May 11, 2009