The stock_trad3r 2007-2008 market recession

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by athlonmank8, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Frank in fact the 2001 cuts were the ONLY post-war rate cut cycle during which the SP500 tanked:

"The average gain in the first month following the start of an easing cycle is 2.99%, and the average gain during entire rate cut periods is 15.33%."

http://seekingalpha.com/article/47532-a-look-at-fed-easing-cycles-in-the-post-war-period

[​IMG]

Of course, there is no rule that says this cut cycle (if it is a cycle) must follow the historical average pattern, for all I know the SP500 will go where most buyers and sellers will drive it.

#31     Oct 16, 2007
  2. Well ok I stand corrected, I thought it was about 1/2 the time. I will say if the fed keeps on cutting, the mkts will not like it. Bonds I think will throw a hissy fit, and the equity mkt will follow bonds. Unless of course, this time its different. Thanks for correcting my error Mak.

#32     Oct 16, 2007
  3. Kudlow is still right. Goldilocks is alive.

Perfect balance of growth and inflation.

Rising oil, wheat and gold prices not inflationary.

Anyone still short is playing with fire. Light, low volume, low magnitude selling after a strong runup tends to be bullish. NO huge red or blue candles. We have a couple weeks of consolidation and then p00f huge 2% rally, followed by another pause.

#33     Oct 16, 2007
  4. Frank I agree though, this time could be different. Definitely no need to throw caution into the wind.

One thing I am seeing though on the recent down days... None of the leading stocks are breaking down. Financials are still weak but they weren't leading since many many months. I'd like to see tech and the oil/commodity sector to break down before getting more aggressive on the down side. I'm just not seeing it. ERIC warns and gets a 30% haircut and AAPL is up 2% in response? You gotta be kidding me.

#34     Oct 16, 2007
  5. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Wow, awesome pledge

#35     Oct 16, 2007
  6. I'm with you there, but I think we are getting into the nifty fifty type enviroment. Funds and hedgies are just buying the same old stocks: AAPL, RIMM, GOOG, some energy stocks, a railroad or 2. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, until they all decide to take profits. It happens to momo stocks at the end of every cycle. At some point, the multiple just cannot expand, and it reverts to the mean, which is when they collapse.I'm not saying this is 1999, but the way these piece of shit china stocks are going parabolic, the mkt needs a rest. Earnings are going to be pretty poor overall, we are past peak earnings..Perfect time for the mkt to catch everyone being to complacent, or greedy.

#36     Oct 16, 2007
  7. FXI down 6 points

DRYS down 8 points

China and the dry bulk shippers down on the same day....It's a black swan!!!! :eek: :D

#37     Oct 16, 2007
  8. EOD short covering frenzy right on time

dow added 40 points in just 20 minutes

time 2 cover

The fact that this market consistently surges EOD indicates that the shorts are ambivalent. No one wants to stay short overnight. This market could easilt gap up 1% as it has done in the past and give you a big loss if you're short.

#38     Oct 16, 2007
  9. S2007S

S2007S

One day you will realize buying the dip wont pay off.

:p :p :p :p :p

#39     Oct 16, 2007
  10. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

NAZ off a couple percent of record highs? I hardly think so. NAZ (COMPX) was over 5000 at the peak (5048 on 3/10/2000). So at todays close of 2763 it needs to gain about 83% to reach the record high. More than a couple percent ....

#40     Oct 16, 2007