The startling rise of disability in America

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Banjo, Mar 31, 2013.

1. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

The SSA will not investigate.

Private insurance companies will investigate if your neighbor was abusing disability payments from an insurance company. The SSA could care less about investigating disability scam artists.

#21     Mar 31, 2013
  2. No they wont..I work in healthcare and deal with this daily..The SSA does not care and does not have the manpower to investigate fraud.

#22     Mar 31, 2013
  3. Well you're both wrong. A former neighbor was reported for disability abuse as another neighbor sent the SSA a ton of photos of the guy riding a lawnmower. He had everything time-stamped and was meticulous in catching the guy. He caught the guy in his garage gym doing deadlifts!

The whistleblower was ticked as the guy would brag about receiving free healthcare (he had been paying for COBRA) and >$2k/month. The disability recipient was supposedly bedridden due to fused disks. He lost his disability within 6 months. The entire block knew it was the pics as the disability guy went on the threaten his family. I lived a few doors down from the guy who reported it. The guy on disability was living in a $2MM home and had essentially taken early retirement through a corp layoff.

http://oig.ssa.gov/newsroom/blog/mar21-post

http://oig.ssa.gov/REPORT

SSA fraud is rampant so I don't deny they are understaffed.

#23     Mar 31, 2013
  4. Brighton

Brighton

I used to participate in a South America travel forum, mostly Andean countries. There were some losers on the site that would brag about "retiring" in their fifties, moving to Latin America and then chasing barrio girls and sometimes putas for the rest of their days.

Turns out that most of them were were collecting disability checks yet they could walk, ride a bike, drive, use a computer, screw, fix up houses, etc. They'd be nobodies in the US, yet thanks to the misplaced generosity of US taxpayers and a sprawling govt that can't track down fraud, they have a decent (if empty) standard of living in Latin America.

One guy liked taunting the rest of us taxpaying schmucks. He seemed proud of the fact that he moved from Puerto Rico to Miami and started getting his crazy check at age 28. Like an idiot, he posted his monthly remittance/welfare statement online (SSN blacked out, but not his name). I downloaded it and sent it to the SSA with a couple of his posts. Don't know if anything ever came of it.

#24     Mar 31, 2013
  5. clacy

clacy

I can't say I'm really happy that my kids will face a lower standard of living through inflation and high tax rates to pay for most of these folks.

I've had very wealthy relatives get SSDI and it's appalling.

This always happens with welfare states. Expect this type of garbage to only get worse too.

As the US electorate begins to "look" more and more like California, expect more and more welfare, fraud, abuse and idiocy.

#25     Mar 31, 2013
  6. No, you are wrong. You found an exception, an anomaly and an outlier report..Just like the war on drugs uses a particular bust to highlight the success and efficacy of all the money and efforts. Again, I work with these users and abusers and you dont. You are a naive and simplistic fool if you believe the SSA enforces and penalizes the vast fraud that is perpetuated here.

#26     Mar 31, 2013
  7. zdreg

zdreg

the more people on disability the better the unemployment figures look, the better obama and democrats look.

#27     Mar 31, 2013
  8. I don't really care who's bedpan you clean and your war on drugs analogy is likewise idiotic. The street-price of coke has declined dramatically due to lack of demand and not the lack of seizures. The decline is price is proportional to the decline in reported overdoses in major metros (NYC data). Also, violence between cartels increases as profits decline.

You work in healthcare and that's supposed to mean something?

Again, I stated that reporting does have teeth as I've witnessed it first-hand. Obviously very few people will go to the trouble of documenting the abuse, you twat. Now back to your odd lots.

#28     Mar 31, 2013
  9. Ah Attici..always so quick to emotional outbursts and so limited in your ability to see beyond your limited perceptions, its no wonder that you have failed as a trader. Your example of knowing one individual means exactly nothing and the fact that you think that it does shows everyone exactly the limitation of your intellectual capacity. There is an interesting field of study called statistics, in case you have heard of it. Take a course in it (beyond the community college level if you can afford it) and get back to me when you feel that you understand beyond the remedial level.

#29     Mar 31, 2013
  10. The SSI system is a mess and more people that just plain do not want to work are trying to get benefits. The bonus for most of them is after 2 years they get medicare/ medicaid so they have no cost at all to go to doctors, some insurers will even send a driver for you, so if you want to occupy your days going for therapy there is no shortage of places to visit.

#30     Mar 31, 2013