The start of WWIII? IRAN!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SilverBullet, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Destroying our planet? How are we destroying our planet by utilizing its resources? That isn't destorying our planet. You need to watch some George Carlin and relax a little.

#41     Sep 26, 2002
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

Are u fucking serious or just an Idiot??

#42     Sep 26, 2002
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

The GDP counts pollution three times: first when it is made, second when it is cleaned up and third when health-care professionals treat pollution-related health problems. An organization called Redefining Progress developed an alternative economic progress measurement, the GPI (Genuine Progress Indicator). GPI takes into account 24 aspects of economic life that the standard GDP (Gross Domestic Product) ignores. The GPI adds value for such activities as housework and volunteerism, and subtracts for the costs of such problems as crime, car accidents and family breakdown.

cut and paste job......

p.s. By the way since 1973 this index has been falling..While the gdp and our overconsumption has been rising....

#43     Sep 26, 2002
  4. We need to kick ass over there because I need cheap gas for my SUV.

"I've always thought that the underpopulated countries in Africa are vastly underpolluted."
    - Lawrence Summers, chief economist of the World Bank, explaining why the United States should export toxic waste to
    Third World Countries

#44     Sep 26, 2002
  5. For more information along this vein you can consult: http://www.adbusters.org/home/

I saw a great poster in Toronto. It was an ad for the Financial Times which was essentially a big picture of Alan Greenspan. On his forehead someone had stuck a huge sticker that read "Continuous Growth: The Motto of a Cancer Cell".

I'm not advocating this leftist doctrine verbatim. I believe in capatilism and competition, including the competition of ideas. Memeatic evolution has far surpassed biological evolution as a means for survival. As always discorse is key.

#45     Sep 26, 2002
  6. trade872

trade872

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have more responsibility here than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. I know deep down in places you dont talk about at parties, you don't want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

#46     Sep 26, 2002
  7. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

In every country you will find a small group that has most of the money, most of the power. Why would the world not be the same? The US is the greatest place for someone to live right now. For all of our problems, we are the freest place and the place in which everyone has a fair shot to become what they wish. There is no place else in the world that poor white trash like me could make a million before he is of drinking age, give it all back slightly after coming of age and then earn it back with interest over the next several years. All of this done with out friends and contacts in high places guiding the future for him.

Brandon

#47     Sep 26, 2002
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

Being free and overconsumption are two different animals...I for one LOVE THE U.S.A....lets get that out...I have nothing but love for the opportunities that have come my way....I truly mean that..

but the fact remains that overconsumption affects all of us...Even us in the USA.....

"Americans carry $1 trillion in personal debt, approximately $4,000 for every man, woman and child, not including real estate and mortgages. On average, Americans save only 4 percent of their income, in contrast to the Japanese, who save an average of 16 percent."

"Since 1950, Americans alone have used more resources than everyone who ever lived before them. Each American individual uses up 20 tons of basic raw materials annually. Americans throw away 7 million cars a year, 2 million plastic bottles an hour and enough aluminum cans annually to make six thousand DC-10 airplanes."

How can this be a good thing????? please explain

#48     Sep 26, 2002
  9. Is that what the take on the TWA800 flight was?, a sholder fired rocket launched missle taking out a passenger plane?

Then what about the Egypt Air 767 that preceeded it?
    Then what about the 767 that ran out of gas just over Mauritius Island?
    Then what about ......
    Then what about......

Let's try to stay focused, on what's in the "public domain", whether managed news or not, its corroborated by other news medium, and hence "the only official story".

This country allows a tremendous amount of freedom that the other countries, even France and England (with over 1 million mini cameras in buildings, ball fields, parks, apartments, toilets and such) chide us for allowing; that even the more restrictive countries would never allow. These freedoms are expensive, and restrictive in that at some point, control over others (foreign born naturalize citizens, visitors, overdue visa vistors and most persons) just fail to appreciate. At some point in time "responsibility and accountability" remains the obligation of all present here, whether citizen, tourist, visitor, illegal alien or whatever.

Part of that responsiblity as a citizen or nominal citizen is proper respect for authority, and adherance to the laws of this country. The alternatives are always present, namely deportation or departure to where ever.

There are limits to the first ammendment, especially since that is what the issue behind September 11th was truely all about! The challenge was whether or not we'd hold our truths self evident, even in the face of attack.

Be respectful of the rest of us, if you exercise your freedom to be irrelevant towards those freedoms. Frankly, I can't appreciate comments like yours.

#49     Sep 26, 2002
  10. El Cuba,

No offense, but you should study economics. The reason our GDP is so high is because we are a consumer nation. We like to have our toys, go to Blockbuster at night to get videos and order pizza from Dominos. That's just how America works. If we saved money like the Japanese did, then this economy would crash. We need people spending money. Money flow produces liquidity in the financial sectors.

Perhaps Japan wouldn't have such a huge problem if people over there started spending more money, too. What good is it to me if I save money and die with a big bank account?

I want to die with a huge pile of debt -- not excess cash!

#50     Sep 26, 2002