The Sopranos

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, Nov 11, 2002.

1. So then you would support minstrels and blackface? Everything you said above would apply equally to a blackface skit. Think about it.

That is not to say that it is not factually accurate, or that it is not a valid opinion. But if you were to replace 'Italians' in your post with any non-European group, it would be sufficient for full 'conviction' in the court of political correctness. It would be enough justification for someone to fire you, blacklist you, expel you from a school, refuse a loan to you, or perhaps to add additional years of incarceration for "hatecrime". It would give sufficient justification for people to openly despise you in polite company. And we would not be discussing it, as the mod would have removed it immediately and possibly banned your username.

Is that disparity proper? is it socially desirable? I don't know - that's a big question beyond my competence. But surely it has nothing to do with free expression or speech. What you wrote is clearly "bigoted" and "racist," -- as those terms are used in the popular media -- it is acceptable, however, because it is "racist" with regard to a group against which "racism" has been approved.

(no flame intended, JMHO :) )

#41     Nov 15, 2002
  2. If there was a market for it, then producers would go for it. However, there is none since most people would find it offensive (except the KKK). Eddie Murphy's short-lived show, "The PJs", poked stereotypical fun at low-income blacks but didn't last. "The Bernie Mac Show" also does the same thing but has been a critically acclaimed hit. I guess it depends on who is dishing out the racial stereotypes! Even the hit movie "Barbershop" drew fire from the Rev. Sharpton camp for the disparaging (albeit humorous) comments made about black civic leaders.

Free speech is fine as long as it doesn't infringe on the constitutional rights of others. I fail to see how "The Sopranos" does this to Italian-Americans with its accurate portrayal of the trials and tribulations of mob life.

#42     Nov 15, 2002
  3. great points, goldenarm -

just saying that what is actually racist and what is perceived or labeled "racist" by the media and others looking to stir up controversy is not always the same, and depends on who is doing the labelling, as you said.

#43     Nov 15, 2002
  4. rs7

rs7

I hoped I had not been offensive. I hoped that I did not come across as "bigoted" or "racist".

Italian-Americans are obviously not of a different "race", so maybe racist is used here too generically. Bigoted? I apologize if I came across that way.

Racism has not been "approved" in any sense in our society. Now what you say about being socially acceptable to portray certain elements (like organized crime) as being heavily populated by an ethnic group....well, I can't disagree with this statement. I can't because you are absolutely correct. But would it be realistic to have a show about the "mafia" and have the characters NOT be of Sicilian descent? This is just accurate portrayal.

Should "Roots" have been changed so that the slave owners were not American Protestants? Should the slaves have been albinos? Would that have made the story more palatable?

My wife worked for many years for an international civil rights organization. Still is closely affiliated with the organization. And strongly believes in their objectives (as do I). She loves watching the Sopranos. Only show she watches (except for 24, which she sees just to indulge me...but I think she really enjoys it). Oh yeah, she watches Sex and the City. I can't stand that show:confused: But neither of us ever thought that the Sopranos was really a knock on Italian-Americans. Every group has their criminal element. The "mafia" is just more colorful. Ever see "Goodfellas"? True story, directed by Scorcese. How come so many of the "mafia" movies are directed by, written by and acted by Italian-Americans? Are they traitors to their heritage? Or are they just interested in entertainment?

Does Woody Allen make fun of his Jewish heritage? Eddie Murphy his African-American heritage? Entertainment should be entertaining. If it is, it is successful. Amos and Andy cannot be aired today on tv. That show was NOT written and produced by blacks. Yes, they acted in it, but they were not stars, and they were doing the only acting available to them at the time. Was it demeaning to black people? Absolutely. So now it is not in syndication. About the only old tv show not in syndication. It was clearly racist. I realized that when I was 9 years old, or so. I wonder if any of you guys remember that show. Not the Sopranos by any means.

Peace,
    :)rs7

#44     Nov 15, 2002
  5. MrDinky

MrDinky

Dominic:
    My name is Dominic and I'm an alcoholic and drug addict.

Paulie:
    Don't forget scumbag!

Heheh... now, lemme guess, all the ex-drug addicts have a rights group and they're going to start complaining.

:cool:

#45     Nov 18, 2002
  6. Depending on where you live; that could be real life ...

#46     Nov 18, 2002
  7. Perugino

Perugino

The ones that just got on with what they had to do - stood up for what was right and didn't say too much about it ?
    I loved that line.
    As an outsider (I live in England)
    I am amazed at the non - presence of the law enforcing authorities whenever a crime is commited on this show.
    Last week a motorist crashed into a road sign near where I live - afterwards there was police everywhere, it was the talk of the neighborhood.
    I think if Tony appeared near where I live a policeman would soon appear with a pencil and notepad to ascertain more information from this suspicious looking fellow
    and soon discover him to be a cad and a bit of a bounder

#47     Dec 4, 2002
  8. Can you please define "cad" and "bounder" for us yanks?

#48     Dec 4, 2002
  9. stu

stu

sir, sir please sir I know that one

cad, bounder, rotter etc = a morally reprehensible chap (chap or bloke = fella guy bud)

How did I do :D

#49     Dec 4, 2002
  10. Perfect.

#50     Dec 4, 2002