The Smartest Thing China Could Do Right Now: Invest US$ 200 Billion in Brazil.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SouthAmerica, Oct 3, 2007.

1. bluud

bluud

#21     Oct 4, 2007
  2. bluud

bluud

I wonder how their stupid gay ass government is going to pay all those retirees in a few decades

[​IMG]

not that I care .. fuck china .. just pointin to the facts

#22     Oct 4, 2007
  3. vectors101

vectors101 Guest

Why would they hold US dollar when is crashing against all other currencies.

maybe they should keep other forreign currency reserve like the EURO..or british pound.

30% drop is a lot. for 200 billion!

#23     Oct 4, 2007
  4. vectors101

vectors101 Guest

they don't.

china isn't really a communist country anymore.

#24     Oct 4, 2007
  5. .

October 4, 2007

SouthAmerica: Reply to ShoeshineBoy

China does not have to sell the foreign exchange reserves that they are already holding - which it is more than $ 1 trillion dollars. If China starts reducing the $ 1 trillion dollars they have that would cause the dollar to go down even further. (By the way, that would affect Japan as well since they also have a ton of US dollar in foreign currency reserves.)

China has a constant inflow of billions and billions of new US dollars from current cashflows – these are the US dollars that China would use over a period of time to invest in Brazil. I did not suggest that the transaction must be made in a matter of days or months. The $ 200 billion dollars would be invested in Brazil over a period of years as the new money is needed to continue the various projects.

The rest it is just a matter of internal bookkeeping on how China move around on their books their total US dollar holdings over a period of time.

A lot of the money would go back to China anyway as Brazil buys the necessary materials needed to implement many of these projects – China’s investment would generate business for both countries it is a win, win situation.

In the last 7 years China and Japan have been taking a beating on their US dollar foreign exchange reserves as the value of the US dollar has been declining against the euro and also against the price of gold.

I have been watching every day CNN’s Lou Dobbs program on television – and almost every day they find something to bash about China. And it is laughable that they are afraid of China’s military when the US is spending year after year 10 times the amount that China is spending with their military.

#25     Oct 4, 2007
  6. Quite right.
    I live in Buenos Aires and SA as a whole is grossly short on infrastructure.
    This can be purchased in USD, invested from China and where possible sourced from China.

I noticed on Fox Entertainment (news) the other day, a debate about dropping the embargo on Cuba.
    Too late.
    I have just spent a month in Cuba and all I could see is Chinese involvement.

Speaking of Fox Entertainment, I regard Bill O'Riley as one of Americas leading comedians.

China Bashing and imported toys.
    Mattel Toys are manufactured and sold under the Mattel Trademark irrespective of where they are made, in fact the country of origin is another Mattel decision.

Here is the Mattel 'global manufacturing principles' from their website.

No where does it Mattel delegate responsibility to the Chinese or anyone else for that matter.

Mattel's Global Manufacturing Principles (GMP) are the company's ongoing commitment to responsible manufacturing, assembly and distribution practices around the world.

These standards are some of the most detailed and comprehensive in the consumer products industry. They address a spectrum of issues, including employee health and safety, environmental management and ensuring that employees are treated fairly and with respect, to the cultural, ethnic and philosophical differences of the countries where Mattel operates.

GMP standards apply to all parties that manufacture, assemble or distribute any product, or package bearing the Mattel logos. They provide a framework within which all of Mattel's manufacturing must be conducted.

Mattel is committed to GMP compliance in all areas of its business and will only engage business partners who share our commitment to GMP. If you want to work with Mattel, compliance with GMP is not an option. Mattel will work with business partners to help them meet GMP requirements. As a last resort, if a business partner is either unable or unwilling to work with Mattel in order to meet and maintain its standards, Mattel is prepared to end the working relationship.

#26     Oct 4, 2007
  7. The middle class of China is larger than the population of the entire US

#27     Oct 4, 2007
  8. no

#28     Oct 4, 2007
  9. .

Thesniper: No.

October 5, 2007

SouthAmerica: No to what?

#29     Oct 5, 2007
  10. .

October 5, 2007

SouthAmerica: The Japanese foreign exchange reserves in US dollars are also approaching the $ 1 trillion dollar level.

Today, between China and Japan they are holding over $ 2 trillion dollars in US dollar foreign exchange reserves.

At the current rate China will have $ 2 trillion dollars in US dollar foreign exchange reserves by the end of 2010.

By the end of 2015 the Chinese will have enough foreign exchange reserves in US dollars to be able to wallpaper every home and apartment in Asia with US$100 dollar bills.

“Japan foreign reserves $ 945.6 bln at end Sept.”
    Reuters – October 4, 2007

TOKYO, Oct 5 (Reuters) - Japan's foreign reserves, the world's second largest, rose to a record $945.601 billion at the end of September, the Ministry of Finance said on Friday.

…The government does not disclose the currency breakdown of the external reserves. But historical data on Japan's currency intervention, which has mostly taken the form of dollar buying, suggests most of Tokyo's hefty reserves are in dollars.

Japan has been reluctant to diversify its forex reserves and to seek higher returns by making active investments, unlike many other countries which have been recently investing a portion of its reserves in stocks and other high-risk high-return assets.

#30     Oct 5, 2007