The Sixth Dimension- Reaver's Trading Journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Reaver, Jan 13, 2008.

1. In the meantime, posting a chart or two here would be good so we can see what timeframe you're referencing for your trading.

In general I have found the following time-frames that are good for a certain period of chart:

1 minute = intraday scalping (1/2 day to 1 1/2 days' worth of trending action)
    3 minutes = 1 to 3 day position trade (nice 2 to 4 day trends with some consolidating moves)
    15 minutes = potentially 5 days or greater position trade (10 day drop for over 1,000pts, on the Dow, but it looks like starting Monday we'll have a bounce for at least a couple of days)

#11     Jan 13, 2008
  2. Not really a big fan of posting charts, but I might at some point.

All trades are in the context of using daily bars. When I say quick, I mean maybe a day or two....anything longer than that up to a week is medium term, longer term is a week or longer.

I already post all my charts in personal journal and I use OneNote because I can just grab images using the clip feature....this is because I am lazy and hate having to edit and save charts just to be able to post them.

Again, I may post charts every once in a while, but I set up my own journal at home specifically so I don't have to go through the normal process of saving, editing and then attaching the chart. So not trying to be an ass, I just hate fooling around with that stuff.

Feel free to pull up charts for your own viewing pleasure if you deem necessary, and if you have any questions ask me and I'll clarify.

I mentioned earlier that I'm not doing this as a way of duplicating my current trading journal, this is just to spark conversation and maybe spur some ideas for both others and myself. Also, not going to put that much effort into it, considering Baron or one of those other guys can just ban you at a moment's notice without reason and then your work is lost (they have a tendency to do things like this as some here know all too well)...not comfortable taking that risk.

#12     Jan 13, 2008
  3. LOL, I feel you.

#13     Jan 13, 2008

4. :D Roger that broseph.

#14     Jan 13, 2008
  5. I ran these two through the mill (CME version) and even though I don't trade the currencies (yet :) ), neither one is giving a buy signal right now.

However, both gave a sweet pop at @ 6:30pm ET, so maybe you were telling us about positions you had already entered, but for them to give a buy signal on Monday (um, later on today), both would need to retrace from their current highs.

Here's the AUD and PB, everything is on a 15 minute timeframe.
    AUD

• aud.gif
      File size:
      38.8 KB
      Views:
    #15     Jan 14, 2008
  6. BP

• bp.gif
      File size:
      39.1 KB
      Views:
    #16     Jan 14, 2008
  7. Thanks for the charts Mandelbrot...Yeah I got into the trades...Aussie has been okay so far (I entered in the overnight) BP has been shitty, and am gonna cut it loose this evening if it doesn't perform....so we'll see....

I got it in long at .8950 last night in the Aussie, but now it's retracing...but I'm still up...

Currently down on the GBP trade. This is the one that concerns me as it's much more countertrend in nature than the Aussie is....

Aussie gets slightly more time than GBP to do it's thing.

#17     Jan 14, 2008
  8. aaah, yes, Reamer...that is what the ladies used to call me, after all.

Thanks for the jog down memory lane.

#18     Jan 14, 2008
  9. Out for a small loss on the GBP, out for a small gain on the Aussie.

Both were CT trades, GBP was much more so, but they didn't do their jobs today, and I am not going to fight the trend any longer on these two. CT trades have a very tight leash, otherwise I'm out quick.

GBP in long at 1.9609 out at 1.9569

AUS in long at .8950 out .8987

Nothing to write home about.

I'll post my trades later if I see anything I like for tomorrow.

#19     Jan 14, 2008
  10. sam0182

sam0182

I'm enjoying the journal thus far, thanks for posting. It's good to see more FX action out there.

Are you looking into the AUD/NZD range at all? I've played it off of Oanda over the last few weeks and have been successful. Am back in, going long just above the support line.

Good luck Reaver!

#20     Jan 14, 2008