The Silicon Valley Heavyweights Who Want to Settle the Moon

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by dealmaker, Sep 8, 2019.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

2. mlawson71

mlawson71

But why? Does the Moon have any resources we can make use of?

dartmus likes this.
  3. Intellectual insecurity and or pork barrel spending is probably the reason. However, if it means less money is spent on WMDs as a result, I’ll take it. Even better if the effort results in international cooperation and goodwill.

Now if we actually do something there such as find a energy supply for power and propulsion as well as developing a self sufficient environment, then a trip would be very worthwhile.

There may be enough water at the Moon’s poles for energy through hydrolysis and human needs. There is plenty of easily detected and retrievable metal on or near the moon’s surface via metallic meteorites. Creating structures for shelter and manufacturing would not be easy and would require specialized capital equipment. However, if we learn how to build, mine, manufacture, and create a self sufficient environment in the harsh conditions of vacuum, radiation, temperature extremes and very fine dust, we are well on our way towards being able to explore and utilize the asteroids and some of the other planets in our solar system. As a species, we would be entering adolescence if successful in achieving these things. Grin.

dartmus likes this.
  4. dartmus

dartmus

acres of vacant land to build something useful on. If we don't use it, someone will. What good was alaska before it became useful.

great question, btw.

a few more minutes and someone will prolly be there relocating their manufacturing facilities, and employee's ...far away from that virus, to name 1 viable use for it.

Give allthe astronomers who can't afford space telescopes, a free round trip ticket there, where there might not be the light polution, that's currently offending some of them, due to the large number of satelittes... tens of thoussand s of sats..

and let them comute home, (for lunch), (on the same day of course) then back to the moon, to finish their work shift?

you've prolly, almost certainly, or if not u, then others, such as anyone who thinks on this for more than the 5minutes I have invested in this dream.. will have better ideas (than me) for sure.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  5. Banjo

Banjo

mlawson71 and dartmus like this.
  6. mlawson71

mlawson71

Alaska had wildlife and mineral resources that prompted a growth in population. The Moon obviously has no wildlife, which is why I was wondering about minerals. If it doesn't have that either the only buildings will be science and research bases, I assume.

dealmaker likes this.
  7. mlawson71

mlawson71

I really hope they will crack nuclear fusion in our lifetime, but so far the research seems to be going pretty slowly.