The Shocking Truth about 'Segregated' Accounts

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Joovenile Jatt, Nov 3, 2011.

1. In Thailand, 3.25% p.a. on a fixed 5 month deposit, more readily available funds in a savings account getting 0.875% (which is not attractive by any means).

#41     Nov 3, 2011
  2. bone

bone

How does one stop Bernie Madoff, or for that matter, any illegal activity where there is fiduciary responsibility required ? I'm not justifying or making excuses.

But to imply that switching segregated status is a legal and common tactic is pure bullshit.

#42     Nov 3, 2011
  3. File suit with what cash exactly? Don't you lot understand YOU ONLY FIND OUT THEY ARE DOING IT WHEN IT IS TOO LATE, JUST LIKE KERVIEL.....

#43     Nov 3, 2011
  4. TILT2

TILT2

Exactly. I wonder can I open a fx account in some bank? That should be relatively safer compared with opening an account in the ordinary brokers. I heard that Dukascopy and MIG have good reputation, all swiss banks... But they only comply with the swiss financial regulation instead of NFA or FSA regulations.

#44     Nov 3, 2011
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Exchange Actions Re: MF Global Inc.

Effective immediately, ICE Clear U.S. will no longer accept transfers of positions from MF Global to another clearing member, and will no longer accept liquidating trades for MF Global accounts. These measures are being taken in order to facilitate the possibility of effecting a bulk transfer of MF Global customer accounts to one or more clearing members.

#45     Nov 3, 2011
  6. Like I said... "not much recourse".

This MF case is the first I've heard of a broker violating the segregation rule in this manner. You've suggested "it goes on all the time but is not reported".. I doubt that. I've had about a half-dozen CFTC audits and a couple from the SEC. "Segregation of Customer funds" is a REALLY big deal to the regulators... doubt it gets violated regularly in the way MF has apparently done.

I remember a local CPO who "accidentally" violated the segregation rule by commingling over just a weekend... he caught a ration of shit for it when the CFTC audited.

#46     Nov 3, 2011
  7. Ash1972

Ash1972

Let's establish one thing: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL SEGREGATED ACCOUNT HOLDERS HAVE TO BE PART OF THE BANKRUPTCY PROCESS AND QUEUE UP WITH UNSECURED CREDITORS LIKE JP MORGAN?

Is that true? Is that set in stone?

#47     Nov 3, 2011
  8. TILT2

TILT2

If your money in the sg account is stolen, what's the point of it?

#48     Nov 3, 2011
  9. TILT2

TILT2

Personally I believe MF Global is not the first one and not the only one. Some brokers must have done it before, but they are stilling hiding in the shadow and have not been exposed yet unless they face bankruptcy or serious financial problems.

#49     Nov 3, 2011
  10. Ash1972

Ash1972

Only 12% has been stolen. We should count ourselves very, very lucky just for that :)

#50     Nov 3, 2011