The Senescent Trader

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Emil Kraepelin, Jan 16, 2008.

1. :confused:

#11     Jan 16, 2008
  2. I assure you that my colleague Herr Doktor Kraepelin is guilty of some small exaggeration, but in the main his description of our trading system for the senescent is quite accurate. We use it ourselves every day, both of us being of a certain age, senescence being defined as a feet age of 126 years.

#12     Jan 16, 2008
  3. I feel sorry for you Hypostomus, just like that poor John Nash fellow.
    Too much intelligence is not a good thing.

#13     Jan 16, 2008
  4. Funny you should say that. I grew up near him. He was just a few years older than me. And I can relate.

My delusional belief is that all the price action I see is institutionally algorithm driven, with very little randomness. All I do is deconstruct the algorithms. It is sufficiently complex with multiple types of S/R that I need massive cueing to assimilate it in real time. Everybody in my head has a job to do.

#14     Jan 16, 2008
  5. You know it seems to me that to accomodate the fact that an increasing percentage of the population is aging and changing physically....one might want to change the physical location of their trading space..

For instance, one might move their trading platform and associated equipment into the bathroom, or if they are successful enough to afford it, construct a much larger bathroom/trading office such that the aging or aged trader is seated "on the throne" so to speak during the trading day. If as Hypo puts it so eloquently, the aging trader is no longer capable of getting a "massive boner" during the trade process, maybe he (or she) can instead enjoy a "massive bowel movement" while watching price spike up to touch that moving average or exit point. In fact it seems inevitable that this would spark a new industry of general contractors who would custom build trading offices to include bidets, custom seating, padded back and arm rests, refrigerators and even exterior mounted monitor and alarm systems so the aging trader might "anticipate" guests without undue changes to their blood pressure.

I trade from a hospital bed currently, and it is the best thing I have ever done. Once you get used to working in a reclining position, you find it really does make the process more enjoyable.

And just to throw an unorthodox "slant" into the mix, recently I have been thinking about trading while suspended from an inversion bar (hanging upside down). As I recall it was suggested that in that position one could count on good brain circulation thus better cognitive processing (assuming one had the capability to begin with). I haven't worked out the logistics associated with re-orienting my equipment yet, but I am working on it.

Of course my dream is to work from a completely voice controlled system. I would simply monitor a wall populated by large plasma monitors and direct the system to place trades vocally. Ideally this would be done in a low gravity environment and one could essentially float from room to room doing whatever one wanted while maintaining close control of intraday positions. The low grav environment would put less stress on us older folks joint systems and reduce diastolic bp as well.

#15     Jan 17, 2008
  6. Greetings, Steve. I was summoned by the OP because I am ET's backup holistic wellness expert expert while Jack is en vacances (although he spells it wholistic, not being much of an etymologist).

First, permit me to express my condolences at your incarceration, er, incapacitation. One trusts that the condition is temporary and not immediately life threating. Certainly not as threating as what some of your fans here on ET would do to you if they could attach electrodes to their responses. I myself remember fondly the time I took your advice to investigate LRCs. I have fully recovered now, thank you. And I did find something useful, although as related to LRCs as pimples are to beauty. No matter, I found many things down Jack's rathole, too. All part of the journey of self-deception.

Not being severely physically impaired myself yet, I had not thought to pursue the line of thought you raise. I shall do so when the inevitable doldrums transpire. Until then, thank you for posting, and good health to you.

#16     Jan 17, 2008
  7. Steve, I think you are on to something for us gerrie traders. I have traded from bed before while recovering from increasingly frequent illnesses. I follow the progression of feeling well enough to eat half a heavily-salted PB&J sandwich, to being able to stomach champagne, to discovering that I can get a hard-on again, and to feeling like trading. Priorities, you know. But I think the best approach is to trade from an adjustable recliner using a very large LCD display. My 23-inch Samsung is working nicely, and I can still read it while I stand up and stretch and do light weight work. Your upside-down thing appeals to me for restoring height (the little Asian home care lady takes care of restoring dick length) as I age. It also is appropriate for us blood-sucking market vampires. I am not yet at the point that I am living on the crapper, so audibles which provide enough lead time to wipe are working for me for now. Further detail on your specific situation would be much appreciated for future reference.

#17     Jan 17, 2008
  8. To set the record straight, I do not trade from a hospital bed because of illness or injury. I bought a hospital bed because I liked the idea of being able to raise and lower the head and legs independently (a couple of other things appealed to me but they are unimportant to this note). Thanks for your interest however.

Also as a side note, I no longer use LRC, but I do use an allied tool that utilizes the same basic concept. For me anyway, it turns out that there are two things that are critical to my success. One is the right tool (concept). The other is "seeing" the markets in such a way that fits me (which for me means a way that I can make profitable use of). Once I was able to align both items, things began to happen so to speak. What I now use is a volume distribution that incorporates VWAP. Along with that I still read the tape, largely because that is what I was trained to do. What I have found is that my mind wants to see a picture that comes together like a crystaline structure suddenly forming in liquid. Using these two independent tools, I am able to see the market (price) floating up and down randomly like a jellyfish at specific price levels. Then as the players move size in and out of the arena, that jellyfish starts to show me a direction, albeit slowly fluttering toward a predetermined "resting place". Once one gets comfortable seeing volume move into and out of a price, one can start to anticipate "turning points". In fact, it has gotten to the point where for me anyhow, trading is like watching a rocket launch, including the countdown....The real question of the day is, did I get "on board" in time, or not?

#18     Jan 17, 2008
  9. Forgive me, Steve, but I am too drunk to remember how to log off and on again to maintain the thin fiction that I am not Emil, and he is not me, and both of us are not somebody else.

First I am happy that you are well. I, too, looked at hospital beds, but I could not imagine how my lady of the night could contort her body to snuggle into the bed position that is comfortable to me.

Second, you are a prick for recommending that I look at LRCs when you later abandoned them, but hey, if not for you I would not have revisited my decades-old math and started computing the correlation coefficient on various time scales.

Third, your post is perhaps the most eloquent exposition I have ever read describing the rhythm of the market. Astonishingly accurate in a lyrical way! But lest our readers be deceived, VWAP is utterly worthless! What were you thinking to assert that it has utility? The most casual search on ET will show that ET is unaware of WVAP. Hence it cannot have any value. Recant! And in future try not to give ET anything of value.

I repeat, lest ET be deceived, that WVAP is merely a construct designed to make brokers rich, and traders poor. You are well advised to ignore it. Think of those who disparage Steve. That would be virtually all of ET. How can they all be wrong? He is a phalse profit!

#19     Jan 17, 2008
  10. Great to see you back on here, "Joe"...you were missed while you were away. Your threads are highly entertaining and often very useful as well. Cheers!...

#20     Jan 18, 2008