The Segway

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ddefina, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Turok

Turok

>How does it produce inertia?

I doesn't.

www.xbow.com

A major breakthrough was the development of a technology called the ring laser gyro. The ring laser gyro is a highly accurate way to measure changes in angular position ( or angular rate) without the use of any spinning things. An angular rate sensor, however, does not directly measure attitude like a gimbaled mechanical gyro does; instead it measures the rate at which an object rotates in degrees per second. Strapping three ring laser gyros together on the X,Y, and Z axes of an airplane, and doing some math, allows for the continuous calculation of a level reference and the change in roll, pitch and heading. The ring laser gyro systems, with their simple “strapdown” construction that uses no spinning wheels or gimbals, replaced the mechanical gyro systems in most military and commercial aircraft. The gotcha is that ring laser gyro inertial navigation systems are very expensive. Perfect quality glass machined cavities, precision mirrors, high voltages (> 1kV), lasers, and inert gases are all required to build a laser gyro.

I have worked with these personally -- they are mounted inside every Nascar Winston Cup car for every Fox and NBC broadcast. Along with carrier phase differential GPS it provides the data for the "Race Chase" telemetry system. I was one of the developers of that project. (and yes, it was our failed box that burned Robby Gordon out of his car while he was leading)

JB

#31     Dec 4, 2001
  2. Rigel

Rigel

A gyro senses changes in position. They have been using ring laser gyros for 15 years in military aircraft and guidance systems. A flywheel would be used to stabilize but it doesn't appear that this scooter has one in it. It's stabilized with position sensors and motor controls.

#32     Dec 4, 2001
  3. Interesting. That kills my theory on lighter models. Its nice to have such high wattage individuals hanging around these parts. :) I wonder if the motor(s) are any more efficient or torquey than whats been used in the past with bicycles.

#33     Dec 4, 2001
  4. fast

fast

Just heard someone on public radio say that the most interesting thing in Kamen's patent applications was an indication that he was trying to design a one-wheel IT. He also emphasized that Kamen is interested in non-conventional engines, including the use of heat to create motion. The speaker thinks the current IT has limited applications, but seemed to believe it is a first step to a very different product. Interesting!

#34     Dec 4, 2001
  5. vitajex

vitajex

These are from an earlier Kamen patent on mobility
    devices. Found at the delphion website.

#35     Dec 5, 2001
  6. fast

fast

vitajex,
    Thanks for the drawings. I could not imagine what the one wheeler would look like.

I agree with whoever said that we really do have knowledgeable people participating in this forum. Nice.

#36     Dec 5, 2001