The secret to buying pre earnings straddles

Discussion in 'Options' started by TheBigShort, Aug 9, 2018.

1. destriero

destriero

The guy is bitching about <20D in the 40.5? WTF is this broke clown to dictate how you trade?

Nobody is going to trade this one-lot on a $1K account. I could do it in PM for under $500. Nobody cares about the haircut.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    #121     Aug 15, 2018
  2. This was posted last THU and Macy's closed at $40.56.....

Kim,

Even though I often go slightly below, my example ACTUALLY was an ATM straddle....so eveyrthing you posted is actual wrong.

#122     Aug 15, 2018
    destriero likes this.
  3. Kim,

Don't make up post trade rules. I suggested this as a trade last THU to show sellig the straddle. I never said the rule was has to be done night before, you said that. The trade example to support BigShort's thesis was posted last Thursday using an ATM straddle.

#123     Aug 15, 2018
  4. destriero

destriero

1) The 40 straddle is representative if you want to get short deltas.
    2) The 40 straddle did not close at 4.05. It was 4.05 bid at the close. Nobody is going to hit the bid.
    3) PM haircut is under $500. Who cares?
    4) You were already done. Post a trade.

The shares went off at 41.87 at the close. The 40C traded 3.00. The 40P traded 1.15. The net change was showing 4.36 (1.20P; 4.16C). The synthetic traded 1.15 + 1.15 + 1.87 = 4.17 at the close which is more indicative on microstructure.

So 4.17 to 3.15 on the day. So a 20% gain on PM haircut.

#124     Aug 15, 2018
  5. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Kim I am pretty easy going and don't like to criticise others, especially when you are genuinely trying to get better. But I hope your subs realize you paper trade. I can almost guarantee you, you started out trading and realized you weren't good, so you repackaged your knowledge and charged a fee.

You said spreads are huge and you won't get a good fill. Spreads are huge after a large move and a vol crush because, 1 leg will be worth 0 (or close to it) the other leg will be deep in the money with a delta close to 1. In the money options usually have wider spreads but, market makers will be happy to sell you that delta 1 for a small dime above fair value for the easy arb.

Your business model will fail because you have stopped learning. I don't know much but something I do know is that you should really take the time to learn the option market so you can actually provide value and will gain clients much quicker. You also provide me and my colleagues with some entertainment so its good to have you around on ET.

#125     Aug 15, 2018
    destriero likes this.
  6. destriero

destriero

I don't trade stuff under $50 and this is no exception, but this isn't terrible on the bounce. Probably take some pain for a day or two.

2018-08-15_1220.png

#126     Aug 15, 2018
  7. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

pretty flat skew on M, unlike you. Pure vol play?

#127     Aug 15, 2018
  8. destriero

destriero

I think it will hit 37 in a few days.

#128     Aug 15, 2018
  9. Amahrix

Amahrix

Peace,

How does a trader start in exotics... with $5,000....... are you talking exotics such as compound, barrier, etc or just complex options like spreads?

Peace,
    Amahrix

EDIT: Might've read that wrong, what was is total capital that he started with? Pretty cool.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    #129     Aug 16, 2018
  10. destriero

destriero

He started at binary.com (betonmarkets.com). One of the few legit retail dealers. It's now owned by a property billionaire (Mellon). Talking about 1st gen exotics (touches/barriers).

#130     Aug 16, 2018