The Science of Why We Don't Believe Science

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Apr 21, 2011.

1. http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/03/denial-science-chris-mooney

How our brains fool us on climate, creationism, and the vaccine-autism link.

"A MAN WITH A CONVICTION is a hard man to change. Tell him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts or figures and he questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point." So wrote the celebrated Stanford University psychologist Leon Festinger (PDF), in a passage that might have been referring to climate change denial—the persistent rejection, on the part of so many Americans today, of what we know about global warming and its human causes. But it was too early for that—this was the 1950s—and Festinger was actually describing a famous case study in psychology.

2. Circumstances may change, but basic human nature does not.

3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

so now you're supporting that there is no link between vaccination and autism?

4. There is no greater conviction to be found than in a convert, a born again atheist, or born again Christian...

5. its been tested dozens of times in dozens of ways and no link has been found. the guy who first published the link has been shown to have fabricated the data for money. is that not enough for you? are you claiming there is a link?

6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

yes, i am claiming there is a link. and i am doing so based on parents who have children of autism say - not on anything "the guy who published the data for money" did or did not do.

and what do you expect the "dozens of tests" to find? that there is a provable link between the two? can you imagine the scope of the lawsuits that would come because of it? to doctors, drug companies and even the government (CDC)?

but i dont expect you to see my point or believe anything i say. you're a man/woman of conviction.

7. so you would use the testimonials of parents as evidence over science as an excuse to expose children to diseases that really could kill them. people like you are a certianly what the article was talking about.
    has the ability to think rationally been lost in a segment of our population? it is interesting to converse with people with your mindset.

8. olias

olias

dude, this is the dumbest thing I've seen you write so far. Jesus H Christ ...I have a bridge to sell you.

9. And this is why world peace is impossible.