the scary thing is

Discussion in 'Trading' started by renegade trader, Oct 24, 2008.

1. I wouldn't think so since the BOJ always wants a weaker Yen. Japanese exporters aren't happy about a rising yen. This global recession is going to hit them hard. The Japanese are totally dependent on exports.

#21     Oct 25, 2008
  2. That's what puzzles me too. I'm from the Netherlands. Gold is SOLD OUT here. Even if you want to cross the border: in germany gold is sold out too. Supposedly it should become available again next month, but it sure is weird ... Price is dropping but no way you can buy the physical stuff itself, its sold out everywhere ...

#22     Oct 25, 2008
  3. bl33p

bl33p

You most probably mean that gold coins are sold out. Try taking delivery of a 12.5 kg bar, HSBC in London or UBS in Switzerland will be more than happy to serve you without any shortage.

#23     Oct 26, 2008
  4. Not so easy to buy platinum, palladium, or silver coins either.

#24     Oct 26, 2008
  5. piezoe

piezoe

Quote from jprad:

But, the reason a candidate can win the nationwide popular vote while losing the electoral vote is due to the way the Constitution protects the interests of smaller states from being overrun by larger states.

I don't see how, except in very bizarre and statistically unlikely circumstances, the electoral college does that, since large states dominate the electoral college. My understanding of why the framers established an electoral college is different from yours. You may be confusing the reason for a bicameral legislative body, which does protect the interests of smaller states, with the reason for establishing an electoral college.

.... be it an assault rifle, Tazer or some future phaser type weapon will similarly be the responsibility of the states to legislate accordingly.

Very convenient indeed for those in Idaho who hanker to keep a hydrogen-warhead missile on the ready in the garage! :D

Yes, a lot of house elections are essentially uncontested these days. Hard to say if it's due to voter apathy or because of political gerrymandering, which is somewhat different and not yet illegal.

It is due to political Gerrymandering.

... many other(s) [lobbyists] who actually help the public by getting the clueless chuckleheads in Congress to make competent decisions on complex subjects that they could never hope to comprehend on their own.

for example, by getting a nice little war started to boost arm sales -- indeed, very helpful to the public.

That amendment only applies if the electoral college fails to elect a president. In the Gore-Bush race the problem wasn't with the electoral college, it was with Florida's popular vote, which was needed before you can assign their electoral votes.

Your reading of the twentieth Amendment and mine are distinctly different.

#25     Oct 27, 2008