The sad truth about trading is

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Index piker, Oct 31, 2009.

1. These anti-trading threads are good for building up the ignore list...

I don't suppose that Dinosaurs knew that they were, well.... dinosaurs, until it was very nearly over for them....

Later

#51     Nov 1, 2009

2. I'm sorry for you but there is nothing inaccurate or incorrect in my above statement. Maybe you should re-read the except I posted of Sharpe's.

btw: My personal portfolio is not really relevant to the discussion , I'm trying to leave the personal stuff out for now , perhaps later in separate thread.

#52     Nov 1, 2009
  3. Too much unintended irony in that missive not to laugh.:D

#53     Nov 1, 2009
  4. l2tradr

l2tradr

Weak argument. Just because the average is X, doesn't mean that a certain group can't consistently beat the average, especially with no regulatory or liquidity constraints faced by large institutions. Just because the average person in US makes $40K a year it doesn't mean that a large group of people that educate themselves, work hard etc can't consistently beat that average (like doctors for instance).

Lastly, if you never pursue your dreams (whether it is to be a great scientist, race car driver, trader etc.) you will never even have the chance to achieve great things. I can't live with that regret. Maybe you can.

Good luck and say hello to Mr. Vanguard ;)

#54     Nov 1, 2009
  5. I agree with talon.
    Discipline is essential for either approach active or passive.
    The advantage passive indexing has in this regard is in massively reducing the required decision points thus decreasing the opportunity for violating your discipline.

#55     Nov 1, 2009
  6. The 'truth' isn't sad at all, its the very fact that most people fail at it makes the rewards for those who suceed more rewarding. :cool:

#56     Nov 1, 2009
  7. There is FAR less no trader involved trading that you would think. (This is not speculation on my part, I know this for a fact.) A lot of the systems and models that run as black boxes still have a trader that turns them off and on. More of the black boxes run on people's kitchen tables than you would probably think, but even the big institutional ones have a trader involved almost always. One reason is that quantitative models that work don't tend to work forever... which gives you something to ponder in your backtesting for sure.

#57     Nov 1, 2009
  8. I'm coming up on 2 years as a follower. I can tell you that I have learned absolutely nothing and like Posh Spice am quite proud of it.

By catholic, all I mean is that my interest in making money is not limited to 'default' trading dogma which may ultimately reflect an adherence to mediocrity (per Piker's notes) but ANY/ALL which indeed defy the odds consistently. Swan Noir, Swan Noirs exist and they are more common than we are willing to accept!

#58     Nov 1, 2009
  9. Great catch Dustin, I try not to particpate too much in these types of threads anymore, as they consume a large amount of time, and really, go nowhere.

The way I figure it, there's no need for me to waste my time on Index piker ... the folly of his logic will be shown to him soon enough in the next market downturn.

Don't want to spend all of my lovely Sunday trading posts with the clueless, so I'll bid you to have a nice weekend, Index piker.

Ciao

#59     Nov 1, 2009
  10. Ok... as promised... here is a system that has an edge. I know this because 1) I backtested it rigorously and 2) i have used it for quite a while and made a good return with it.

Index Adds / Drops from S&P 500
    On the days following an announcement that a stock will be added to the S&P 500, work a limit order to buy that stock at the settlement of the announcement day. If not filled, don't chase the market.

On days following an announcement of a drop from the S&P 500, work a limit order to short that stock at the settlement price of the announcement day.

On the close of the day that the change is actually effective, flip the position. If you were unable to fill on the limit order then get short the addition and get long the deleted stock.

If there is no offsetting position (for instance, an addition announced without a deletion) then "hedge" the position with equal dollars of SPY or futures (though you will be creating a taxation issue with futures.)

The portfolio is hence always long/short equal dollars. If you buy $100K of ABC and sell $100K of XKY on the announcement day the values might be +125K ABC and -112K XYZ on the effective date. Doesn't matter, on that day you then short 100K ABC and buy 100K XYZ.

Exit the trade 25 days after the effective change date.

Do not trade deletions due to corporate actions, takeovers, bankruptcies, etc.

Think long and hard about position sizing. There is no stop so theoretically the entire investment is at risk. I like to risk no more than 2% of my account on any trade, but that's really not possible here. Maybe allocate 15% of capital to each trade. Be aware that you can go many weeks with no positions or have on 4 positions at once.

That's it... do the work... it's hard to backtest because it's not like Buy when the 3 period XMA crosses over the 28 period SMA and the RSI is > 70 and ADX is < 15 or bullshit like that... those kinds of things don't tend to have a great edge, but here I have just given you a system that is supported by a vast body of academic research and works in real time.

Not one person here will do this for a year. Hard to believe but I would be wililng to bet.

I think my explanation is clear, but I think that because I wrote it lol. If it's not ask and I will attempt to clarify.

#60     Nov 1, 2009