The sad truth about trading is

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Index piker, Oct 31, 2009.

1. I'm not sure I agree with you on this one. I would say the skills required for effective model building differ from the skills required for trading. That's why almost all funds that hire physicists also hire traders to apply those models.

Some of those spectacularly brilliant people I knew who failed as traders were physicists or other scientists... I even had some of these guys build models that I was able to apply effectively, but when they were given some latitude to trade for themselves they screwed it up every time.

Trading is more about risk management, self control and discipline than it is about figuring out complex trading secrets. I could write a profitable trading system on the back of a cocktail napkin but not 1 in 1000 people would be able to apply it.

#31     Nov 1, 2009
  2. I'm coming up on 2 years as a follower and so have learned absolutely nothing and like Posh Spice am quite proud of it :cool:

#32     Nov 1, 2009
  3. Yes! One of the reasons is that the guys will have another model in their heads. Most likely the person who apply it would have no opinion, not intelligent, has no skin in the game, and is detached. In other words, he does not care, and/or does not have the ability to care.

#33     Nov 1, 2009
  4. And that is it in a nutshell people.......

#34     Nov 1, 2009
  5. If the system is good you don't need the discipline. You just execute the system. Discipline and psychology is overrated.

#35     Nov 1, 2009
  6. hopeful

hopeful

Please use this as a napkin. If it is truly a profitable system then I will run it through my backtesting machine and let you know if it works!

#36     Nov 1, 2009
  7. ashatet

ashatet

Trading is not the same as investing. Trading is a trade or a business or a job, but investing is seeking return on the capital.

#37     Nov 1, 2009
  8. Like I said before most of you would do better in absolute returns by adopting the tenets of a passive portfolio.

There is NO question as to the superiority of passive investing as a whole compared to active investing.

So once again if any of you are having difficulty, are newbies, or having second thoughts about the wisdom of trading you owe it to yourself to fully investigate passive investing.

It's just simple math as this excerpt by William F. Sharpe demonstrates:

http://www.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/talks/indexed_investing.htm

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173&sid=2814cbbef43c301687b3a30f89684d4b

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144

Of course the retort of the true believers is going to be but " We are All SPECIAL".

"We have skills"

Of course that is complete bunk,(you don't have magical skills that your competitors don't have also) even the professional mutual and hedge fund managers are subjected to the same mathematical constraints as above.

They on average do not consistently outperform their market and let's be honest neither do you.

The managers make money because they manage gullible people's money, not because they demonstrate superior skill in general.

If you are truly generating consistent alfa year in and year out beating the pro's why are you not joining their ranks?

Hint:You and I both know the real answer to that one.

#38     Nov 1, 2009
  9. indexer

indexer

By automated, I meant no trader involved.

Of course there are semi-discretionary traders who take signals from a system and execute them.

#39     Nov 1, 2009
  10. That's true only insofar as a trader may manage another persons funds for a fee and thus be profitable.

It has no bearing on the % return from market activity.

#40     Nov 1, 2009