the roots of the root problems

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Mav88, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Mav88

Mav88

Quote from just21:

So why is the dollar going up then?

If I could calculate causual relationships between events and prices, I would be a billionaire.

#11     Nov 12, 2008
  2. You mean the mortgage market?

#12     Nov 12, 2008
  3. Mecro

Mecro

Yawn!

So many clueless geniuses running around searching for the root of the problem when they look at it every single day, several times a day.

The monetary system is doing exactly what it was designed to do.

#13     Nov 12, 2008
  4. G-Boa

G-Boa

Money leaving emerging market equities and bonds, converting back into dollars, thereby selling foreign currencies and buying back into dollars.

Add to that: flight to "quality".

The euro betters and pound betters swapping back into dollars.

As much as the tide washes up it will wash out again.

#14     Nov 12, 2008
  5. Ads are promoting that you can have whatever you want..since they represent the most constant tools to influence people..it may have helped created a mood that nothing matter.

#15     Nov 12, 2008
  6. Agreed to all of your points. Laughed at #8 for being sad but true.

#16     Nov 12, 2008
  7. Mav88

Mav88

"You mean the mortgage market?"

Shoeshine, the chart in the link was all debt public and private. Public debt is at about 100% GDP, all the other is privately held. I put direct gov't responsibility for an increase of 20%, but all the rest is just plain old folks buying things and tapping out the gov't with entitlements.

#17     Nov 12, 2008
  8. Mecro I started reading some of your posting history and I respect your views very much, but what the hell is the monatery system, you've used that phrase so often.

And how are people leeching off of it, and how is it doing exactly what it's supposed to do? At best what I understand it to be is some kind of credit cycle that's being manipulated.

#18     Nov 12, 2008