The Road to Consistency

Discussion in 'Journals' started by trader99, Aug 30, 2019.

Post my gains in % of $$

1. % Percentage Gain

78.9%
  2. $ Dollar Gain

21.1%
  1. trader99

trader99

9/5/2019
    =============
    Realized gains:
    GC: $731
    MGC: $104
    NG: $31
    MNQ: $69
    NQ: $55
    ===============
    Total Realized Gains: $988

Thanks goodness today I'm back to more respectable stats.

I know @Overnight isn't gonna like this one. But I made most of my money in GC today. In fact, I could have 5x that amount easily. My most reliable setup appeared today. This setup doesn't appear very often but when it does it's like a 100% hit rate! But I chickened out and only did 1 lot. If I did 5 lots then it would have been $3500 easily in 5mins.

I didn't trade my bread-and-butter NG much today because it was really choppy. Yesterday I missed a HUGE RUN UP due to a meeting I had. I noticed that usually after a HUGE day the next day is a bit choppy. So I was cautious. Also this morning I had to take my kid to school and missed out on another bounce from the bottom. This morning I was supercautious because it was moving like 30 ticks in a few minutes. Not a smooth ride. The risk/reward wasn't there or you have to be super careful. Also, Thursdays are announcement days for NG. I had to be careful with it since I've been burnt by announcements volatility.

Then the rest of the day I had to attend to other things and didn't get a chance to trade.

It's OK. Good to learn to trade various instruments. Not just one.

Lesson: When your perfect set up appears, then really go for the juglar! Load it up and flip it out for the big gains! Another lesson is when you are on a roll then continue. Today I was batting a 1000. Not a single losing trade. Why was I so conservative? maybe that's why I'm batting a 1000... hehe.

Musings: I feel like I have all the elements to bang out thousands per day. But I need to break out of the Matrix and be more confident. Hopefully, September is the month I break out and really make what I should making given all the knowledge and experience. I shouldn't be afraid. I'm not talking about taking wreckless risks. I'm talking upping the size on well known edges. To play small when you know a particular edge has 70%-100% hit rate is playing it too safe and too suboptimally.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    #31     Sep 5, 2019
  2. Overnight

Overnight

I know you're not gonna' like this, but live cattle and hogs are limit down today. Hehe.

#32     Sep 6, 2019
    trader99 likes this.
  3. trader99

trader99

:(:(:(

#33     Sep 7, 2019
  4. trader99

trader99

#34     Sep 8, 2019
  5. i'm rooting for you.. :thumbsup:

#35     Sep 9, 2019
    trader99 likes this.
  6. ovovats

ovovats

Hey @trader99, what is your style/strategy of trading futures? What indicators do you use? What gives you your edge?

#36     Sep 18, 2019
  7. You gave up bro already?

#37     Sep 24, 2019
  8. trader99

trader99

No, I haven't given up yet. Just been VERY BUSY with non-trading activities. I have other stuff besides trading: meetings, work projects, and family duties! LOL.

10/1/2019:
    =============
    Realized gains:
    GC: $366
    MNQ: $104
    NG: $37
    NQ $108
    ===========
    Total Realized Gains: $615

September was a rough month with work and other responsibilities.

Just a general observation here. I noticed that on good days my win rate is like 95%-100%. On bad days, it's like I keep losing. ouch. When I'm in sync with the market, I can do no wrong. Win. Win. Win. Win. Win. When I'm out of sync I'm very wrong! Ouch!

Maybe I should have a daily stop loss not just a position stop loss so things don't get out of control.

I'm calling the day even though it's only 915am PST. Gotta do other things. Don't want to give up my morning winnings with some bad random trades.

#38     Oct 1, 2019
  9. trader99

trader99

just basic chart reading and TA. Nothing fancy.

#39     Oct 1, 2019
  10. trader99

trader99

10/2/2019:
    Taxable Acct:
    =============
    Realized gains:
    MNQ: $3
    NG: $252
    HE: -$96
    ===========
    Total Realized Gains: $159

IRA Acct:
    =============
    Realized gains:
    NG: $376
    ===========
    Total Realized Gains: $376

I should have aggressively played GC when it's on fire today. But I was too chicken to play it. :( Lessons learned. Go where the action is. Same with NQ. NQ had multiple setups that I usually go for. Today NG was slow but still managed to eke out some gains.

The other thing I noticed is I see my well defined setup/edge and even then I'm afraid to execute. WTF?! So I need to turn that into an automatic behavior. To miss out on proven setups that work like 80%-90% of the time is just plain stupid. Shouldn't be afraid if you have already defined your risk.. Just be an execution machine.

I gotta attend to non-trading stuff now.

#40     Oct 2, 2019