The road to becoming a CTA

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by AMW, Jan 31, 2007.

1. AMW

AMW

I am a former cboe mm who has just started looking into the CTA business. I was just wondering if anyone on this board could share their experience on how they became a CTA. Maybe elaborate on some of the more non-trading aspects of managing a successful cta? And any recommendations for an aspiring CTA.
    Thanks

2. Any CTA who can share your experience?

3. Make sure you go through the binder the NFA will send you. Have privacy policies, disaster recovery plans, keep all copies of marketing material or scripts for phone solicitations (if you go that route). Have duplicate files located in an offsite location. Sign your yearly atestation. Review your block order policy quarterly to make sure it is fair and sign off on it. Things of this nature matter to the NFA.

To investors it is important for them to know what your plan is if your office should lose power. Do you have a different location to trade from? Is it on a separate power grid? Is it far enough away from your current office that a natural disaster or worse would not affect it? Do you have multiple datafeeds?

If I think of any more I will let you know, but this is what came to me off the top of my head.