The Rise of the Day Trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Pekelo, Jan 26, 2009.

1. These kinds of articles are disgusting. They portray traders as animals in the heat of the hunt, tearing apart their prey as they swear at them. Writers never take the time to show the real work that goes into trading profitably and the discipline that real traders must show in order to succeed. Most of these trading room hot shots will never survive the coming market changes.

#11     Jan 27, 2009
  2. freakin retarded.

#12     Jan 27, 2009
  3. Why would BIG traders trade on the side as a second job so that they can still be able to report to a cubicle for the drudgery of corporate employment?

#13     Jan 27, 2009
  4. gaj

gaj

why make generalizations? what works for one person may not work for another, and vice versa.

for example: i swear at my monitor, a LOT when no one else can hear. doesn't affect my trading.

100k swings would be huge for me. however, my swings would be large for others. it's all what the individual can deal with, their personality, best trading style, etc.

i would say that, as long as you're not trading volatility straight, if you can survive in THIS market (esp. the past couple years), you can survive in almost any market. not with as big gains, but as a daytrader? sure. it's not like the late 90s, where it was straight up, or the early 2000s, where it was straight down.

#14     Jan 27, 2009
  5. "This kind of trading is not for the weak of stomach. Milman readily admits his system typically gives him only a slightly better than 50-50 chance at making the right choice, and several of Milman’s colleagues had vaporized their accounts on a few bad bets. The fact is, few traders are successful at this game. Don’t try it at home. "

So what the article is telling us, that success means gambling using methods that do not hold up under multiple studies (most TA), but you have not yet hit the Risk of Ruin, as several of his colleagues did

#15     Jan 27, 2009
  6. It isn't telling you that at all but you should ask yourself why you think it does.

My main strategy is sometimes running less than 40% win / loss in a day, but finishes profitable. It's all about "R".

Happy Trading

#16     Jan 27, 2009
  7. Cesko

Cesko

Retarded opinion fits the obamalover's handle perfectly.

#17     Jan 27, 2009

8. Not quite pajamas, and have traded while on Vacation on a beach.

#18     Jan 27, 2009
  9. All of wl4.wealth-lab.com is proof technical analysis can work, and at least disproves EMH weak. Can't say as much for EMH semi-strong and strong, but I'm sure a researcher can crack that one, too.

#19     Jan 27, 2009
  10. jem

jem

why would anyone have negative comments about traders taking money out of the market.

#20     Jan 27, 2009