The Rise and Fall of Mechanical Trading Systems

Discussion in 'Journals' started by DT-waw, Dec 16, 2010.

1. DT-waw

DT-waw

just look at the equity curves of some of the systems posted.
    sometimes they are similar like for example "Charter" systems posted by one developer, but when you scroll through the rankings, you'll see that we are dealing here with a wide spectrum of strategies.

#31     Dec 17, 2010
  2. feng456

feng456

The major flaw of this experiment is:

The OP is clearly biased and we rely solely on him/her to not only pick the systems to be tested, but also to execute them.

He clearly has some sort of self interest in proving a certain desired outcome and due to lack of any random sampling, the validity of his results will be highly questionable. (Conflict of interest anyone?)

There's a reason "studies" conducted by fast food companies for example saying fast food is healthy for you is usually not taken seriously.

#32     Dec 17, 2010
  3. DT-waw

DT-waw

criticism is welcome.
    everyone is invited to select systems to track in this journal.

one point: i don't see a reason of random picking, or picking systems which are already bouncing around break even for a couple of months. or systems which are during a large DD. By large i mean $10k or more.

a goal is to find consistent systems. or systems which after a relatively manageable drawdowns quickly recover to new highs.

#33     Dec 17, 2010
  4. DT - I just remembered from reading Vipassana texts over 40 years ago that a D.T Waw was a prominent Burmese practitioner, teacher and author. Did you name yourself after him? - Art

#34     Dec 17, 2010
  5. DT-waw

DT-waw

Hi Arthur,
    No , i hear this story for the first time, incredible!
    i sympathize with india, vipassana, vedas, osho, taoism

osho once said, talking about why bliss should be sold:

"everything in this world has to be achieved".
    "if you give away something for free, people will never appreciate it"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRo_L1RiGWw

i guess thats part of the reason why developers sell trading signals.
    and reason why there are so few good trading methods out of infinite others.
    just like there are only few enlightened personas out of billions.

#35     Dec 17, 2010
  6. Those books may still be on my shelf, I will check and get back to you. I encourage you as a fellow devotee of Eastern religions to reconsider your dogmatic, perhaps even cowmatic, position on mechanical systems. I can assure you that working systems exist which are robust over long time frames. But they are like the tight hot pussy of a beautiful virtuous young wife. No one will share them.

#36     Dec 17, 2010
  7. DT-waw

DT-waw

interesting thought, thanks!

what about all these CTAs? why they manage assets for other people?
    well, some are Very successful!

#37     Dec 17, 2010
  8. Chartered CTA's? What a joke. All they are taught and certified on is what is in books. Like Achelis' "Technical Analysis from A to Z." A robust working system is more precious than the legendary Philosopher's Stone which turned lead into gold. For that is precisely what it does. Seek such systems in your meditation practice. Select an appropriately financial kasina representative of the mental wealth you seek through physical wealth (I use an Austrian Philharmonic one-ounce gold coin). It is no coincidence that the common mantra "Aummmmm" begins with the chemical symbol for gold, Au.

#38     Dec 17, 2010
  9. LOL your a funny guy :p

#39     Dec 17, 2010
  10. DT-waw

DT-waw

#40     Dec 17, 2010