The Rise and Fall of Mechanical Trading Systems

Discussion in 'Journals' started by DT-waw, Dec 16, 2010.

1. DT-waw

DT-waw

Gold system is long from 1383.5 today
    Watch it losing at least 3 grand on this trade!

Cruiser system is short EURUSD from 1.4059
    Current price about 1.3220.

We all know that the only way to make profits is making 50 trades per day on every news and spike and having at least 90% profitable trades. I just don't see how trend following system can profit.......
    :D

#11     Dec 16, 2010
  2. olias

olias

I can't really argue with anything you said, but I still think this is a worthwhile endeavor.

-OP, good idea. keep it up

#12     Dec 16, 2010
  3. Did you mean long EURUSD or short....short is a very nice trade!!!

Also be careful what you say about Trade Station, they are a sponsor and anything derogatory will make this thread 'disappear'...

Point of interest ...do you actually trade futures with money and how long have you been trading?

NiN

#13     Dec 16, 2010
  4. vetten

vetten

hahaha....I have a little suspicion that the OP wants to show that mechanical systems can be profitable :p

and why not?

people who dismiss this out of hand are dumb - dumber - dumbest.

always keep an open mind: there are a 1,000 ways to fleece your fellow trader:eek:

#14     Dec 16, 2010
  5. not only do i personally disagree with mechanical trading (a purely intuitive trader here) but i also think you are a a dumbass for thinking others can't do it well.

#15     Dec 16, 2010
  6. bkveen3

bkveen3

All trading is mechanical in nature. The difference is that discretionary traders can't usually tell you how to program their strategy. This is due to several factors. First off, most don't have enough experience in computer logic and programming to be able. The second and most substantial problem is that programmers lag far behind hardware ability. Yes a computer may be able to process the same amount of data as the human mind, but a human still has to program it to do so. Thus the limiting factor will always be the human mind and its ability to program the computer mind. At least that is my take on the subject.

#16     Dec 16, 2010
  7. bkveen3

bkveen3

And why would someone post a mechanical system that really had an edge in the FX markets. Practically infinitely scalable. I doubt any posted edges work.

#17     Dec 16, 2010
  8. DT-waw

DT-waw

and this is exactly what we will find out in my journal.
    public systems making money? the developer should max his ten credit cards and trade his systems with 20x leverage!

either the system is a disaster waiting to happen or it is making money every week. there is nothing in between.

#18     Dec 17, 2010
  9. agreed that 99% of the junk out there is just that. but that's a pretty broad statement the OP is making here......

The following thread seems to beg to differ...... a few gems in here that work to this very day ( with some slight tweaks of course!!)

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181368

#19     Dec 17, 2010
  10. How much longer is it going to take you retards to figure out the OP has pulled a fast one on you. He purposely created a thread with a negative tone so as to attract more viewers since he knows the amount of hate for mechanical systems.

#20     Dec 17, 2010