The Rise And Fall Of America

Discussion in 'Economics' started by triggertrader, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Sig

Sig

I ran into something interesting on Quora today. The following was a direct quote from the Texas 2012 GOP platform:

"Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority."

Is it any wonder that we end up with the little volpunters of the world with that as a goal of a good chunk of the country! I grew up a fundamentalist and know this line of thinking well. I consider myself fortunate to have escaped. As we see here not everyone was so lucky.

#141     Jan 22, 2018
    Martinghoul and d08 like this.
  2. volpri

volpri

Sad...fortunately I’m in that group either. What do you say pistol pete are we lucky or what?

#142     Jan 22, 2018
  3. d08

d08

I'm pretty sure he's not volpunter (is he?).
    GOP obviously, as per that document, wants to keep people simply, stupid and obedient. Questioning and challenging authority is what the western world is about, this is why most of modern inventions didn't happen in China or Japan, even if they have a much better work ethic.
    It's frightening how "challenging the student’s fixed beliefs" is considered a bad thing. America might just go back to the dark ages if this attitude prevails.

#143     Jan 22, 2018
  4. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Okay, so, you're on the right track: imagine a 2% increase of worker productivity, in each of China and ol' USofA .
    1) What happens to GDP in China?
    2) What happens to GDP in USA?

See the difference now?

#144     Jan 22, 2018
  5. volpri

volpri

No way pistol pete. Typical day? How could they possibly live past 40 years of age? Are you sure? I already won’t buy seafood raised in China. Do you? I won’t eat at chinese food restaurants. Do you?

#145     Jan 22, 2018
  6. Sig

Sig

Imagine a 2% increase in pollution per worker each in the US and China. You end up with completely untenable levels in China. And it's more like a 4% increase in pollution per 2% increase in productivity in China and a .5% per 2% increase in the U.S. Imagine a 2% increase in social security/Medicaid type obligations per person in China vs the U.S. Imagine a 2% increase in any of the myriad things that cost GDP vs contribute. It's expensive to run a modern, healthy society and China has yet to bear most of those costs while reaping the benefit of unsustainable growth. And that doesn't even scratch the surface of the fact that most of China's growth is based on exports. To modify the old saying, if you owe the bank a million dollars the bank owns you, if you owe the bank a trillion dollars you own the bank.

Will China's economy continue to grow, I presume so although Japan showed that isn't even a given. Can you extrapolate out from today's position using past growth acceleration? I'd maintain absolutely not. As China faces it's unfunded societal obligations it's growth rate will asymptomatically approach that of every other first world country.

#146     Jan 22, 2018
  7. volpri

volpri

MAGA and Mr T wins...AGAIN! Schumer gives in! WOW Mr T is on a roll. High win rate! Just like trading with high win rate.

Mr S needs to learn which fights to pick! ROFLMAO!

#147     Jan 22, 2018
  8. imo, what you said is possible. And the opposite is also possible,because China by herself is not only a huge Nation and Economy, but also a small World after growing and reaching beyond a critical mass.

That means the China's domestic market size and economy is huge, plus the nonstop growth of export market economy.

imo, the BRI implementation can be also a guaranteed growth of China's economy probably for the next 40 years, or perhaps longer. Comparing to Japan's growth history.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    #148     Jan 22, 2018
  9. https://www.pwc.com/gx/en/issues/economy/the-world-in-2050.html#keyprojections
    The World in 2050

The long view: how will the global economic order change by 2050?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BRI?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    #149     Jan 22, 2018
  10. volpri

volpri

#150     Jan 22, 2018