The rich and the right...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by sle, Dec 12, 2017.

1. qxr1011

qxr1011

wrong

if one is elite enough his most worries should uncontrollable risk, and there are plenty of it in bitcoin trading

#11     Dec 12, 2017
    zdreg likes this.
  2. Surprise

Surprise

Windows 95

#12     Dec 12, 2017
  3. ironchef

ironchef

And yet some questioned me for asking too many questions and admitting I was no expert. I have been trading my own home grown system full time since 2010 and joined ET to see what is out there and how do professionals trade.

I became a much better trader the last two years, thanks to coaching from folks like you, among others.

Thanks.

#13     Dec 12, 2017
  4. sle

sle

I think I have questioned you about saying "thank you" at some point, but otherwise asking questions is the most welcome trait.

The point I am trying to make is that making money is hard enough as is. Once you add the cognitive biases (take any, from ambiguity bias to zero-sum bias) it gets even harder.

#14     Dec 13, 2017
  5. Having biases is no good.Just do what market tells you.

#15     Dec 13, 2017
  6. sle

sle

48 Hours? Smart man. I moved firms and that money is still stuck in cash :( so whatever I made on bitcoin this year (smart mistake), I did not make on holding equities (stupid mistake)

#16     Dec 13, 2017
  7. Gambit

Gambit

Was there a reason you didn't put a collar on equities and ride things out? I thought that was the standard method of risk management for hnw individuals who didn't want to sell immediately. Just curious.

#17     Dec 13, 2017
  8. sle

sle

Because I was being a cocky moron. I was not looking to preserve capital, I was predicting a crash and thought I’d get long at the bottom. Well, at least I did not unload it all, just about half of it.

PS. Watch now as people show up and say “but dude, it was clear the market was going up!”

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    #18     Dec 13, 2017
    Gambit, trader99 and Xela like this.
  9. piezoe

piezoe

Getting out or staying in are both superior to trying to hedge. There is a purpose for hedging. It is to preserve a gain when you can't get out, at a cost of course. (This seldom applies to traders). In the main, hedging is a tool encouraged by brokers so as to take more money from their clients. I found reading Soros was very helpful, it gave me a much better grasp of why the the market does what it does and I became more patient and less likely to exit prematurely.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    #19     Dec 13, 2017
    Gambit and Sig like this.