The Return of Glass-Steagall?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Tsing Tao, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Hold on, I didn't say anything about the crisis and all the other issues you're raising here...

My question is very simple. Do you think, during normal, non-crisis times, the American taxpayer should be lowering the funding costs of the large "supermarket" banks by allowing these banks to use FDIC-insured deposits to fund investment banking activities? This is on top of the implicit govt backstop that the mkt independently prices in for the TBTF banks. And yes, I realise that these large financial institutions only have everyone's best interests at heart and that, without them, society as we know it will surely unravel.

#11     Jul 13, 2013
  2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Yes. As much as they should be lowering the funding costs for banks to offer commercial bank lines to corporations, home buyers, and credit card users.

:)

#12     Jul 13, 2013
  3. In this case, we will have to agree to disagree...

#13     Jul 13, 2013
  4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

#14     Jul 13, 2013
  5. nitro

nitro

I forgot this has already been voted on twice in Dodd-Frank and shot down. Almost zero chance of it passing, at least in this administration.

#16     Jul 15, 2013
  6. #17     Jul 15, 2013
  7. Bubble Ben is already sowing the seeds to the next financial or banking crisis.

#18     Jul 15, 2013
  8. achilles28

achilles28

Bail-in is the new rule, going forward. Bank failures/deposit confiscations >100K, like Cyprus, will occur in the United States, when the next crisis hits. Glass-Steagall 2.0 mitigates the damage. It won't pass because DC is owned by the banking establishment. Good luck.

#19     Jul 17, 2013
  9. Humpy

Humpy

It's partly down to that too big to fail argument isn't it. Perhaps it would help if investment companies and banks branch off financially independent companies as they grow. Then if they are mismanaged it won't bring the whole system down.

#20     Jul 19, 2013