The retaliation thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cutten, May 11, 2004.

1. Yes, indeed.

#31     May 12, 2004
  2. maverick74's agreement with this post is probably sufficient evidence of its inanity, although the references to maniacal evil and nazism help.

perhaps you can add some specificity - ie, given that evil exists, who, exactly, are the evil people the liberals love so? the individuals that killed the contractor, obviously - but are you labeling countries, races, societies, religions?

is debasing human life the test of where a society sits on your infantile black/white division? is the combatant/civilian distinction you cite the test? if not, what is, and what action, specifically, do you advocate?

#32     May 12, 2004
  3. I didn't mean to imply that we are in a war against all of Islam but only that a segment of Islam is already at war against us. To say, as you do, that our opponents just happen to be Muslim is to ignore reality. When we were at war with Japan, you could say it was not a religious-based conflict even though they were virtually all of a radically different religion. They just happened to be Shinto or whatever. That might have contributed to the conflict in a cultural sense, but it was not the basis for the conflict. This situation is radically different. Our opponents have justified their actions on religious grounds, and have even claimed that their religion mandates it as jihad. And it's not like we haven't had experience with Islam. It has a long and bloody history of advance through conquest and war, and persecution of nonbelievers.

You astutely point out many of the complexities such a conflict poses. I agree, and said in my original post that it poses a conflict between security and civil liberties. And indeed it is unfair in a sense to those Muslims who are peaceful. Of course, no one is stopping them from changing religions. If the Baptists suddenly started advocating armed revolt, I dare say most of their members would depart. The fact that Muslims would find such a thing unthinkable points up an unpleasant truth: they regard themselves as Muslims first, Americans second, or maybe third or fourth.

I think the country has bent over backwards to prevent any harrassment or discrimination against Muslims, and President Bush has gone way out on a limb on this. Probably 9/11 could have been prevented if we hadn't been so obsessed with political correctness. I mean, how smart do you have to be to know that young arab males deserve extra scrutiny when they are committing terrorism against western interests all over the globe? I think the Muslim leadership deserves a lot of blame as well. Instead of expressing regret and offering to do whatever they could for their country, they carped and moaned about security measures and tried to blame it all on Israel. In fact, they continue this pattern. How many Muslim leaders have condemned the beheading? I haven't heard a single one.

#33     May 12, 2004
  4. AC3

AC3

You want an example I'll give you ...ohhh say about 45,000 "Life in Prison" if there is a god he is balling not crying but balling his eyes out over this ...... Life in prison means we cant do what the good lord (again if there is one or any one that u worship for that matter) says for us 2 do... get a look outside the window and clean it up ... I make no distinction btwn black white brown yellow whatever and for that matter whatever house u walk into 2 prey or however u do it ........ Tidy up the campsite and w/ any luck these "Acts" will widdle down but as far as any book will show they seem 2 keep going throughout history

#34     May 12, 2004
  5. really? who is "we"? how old is islam? how old is the US? why did the American "war on terror" only start in 2001?

#35     May 12, 2004
  6. AAA, I agree with you entirely that a segment of Islam is already at war against us - the extremists/fundamentalists. But the "reality" is that they represent a small percentage of all Muslims. Even if you subscribe to the view, as spec8tor does, that most Muslims feel the US is anti-Muslim, the "reality" is that those willing to fight and kill us are still a small minority.

Hmmm, sounds a lot like the history of Christianity. At least Islam's history of conquest allowed mercy for those who convert to Islam, whereas crusading Christians slaughtered men, women, and children without extending that offer.

MOST of the Muslims are peaceful! They may disagree with us but last time I checked the majority of the hundreds of millions of Muslims weren't going around trying to kill us. If that truly were the case not only would we have no embassies or consulates in the Middle East, Malaysia, or Indonesia, but at this very moment we'd be fighting a popular revolt against million of Iraqis.

Come on, you can't be serious! Should all Catholics renounce their faith because of the IRA? Would you expect American Christians to renounce their beliefs if some wacko extremist Protestants from Dubuque started murdering American Muslims in Brooklyn? Of course you wouldn't.

I think millions of Americans would say they, too, are Christians first and Americans second.

FOREIGN arab males definitely deserve extra scrutiny. Steps must be taken in the visa application procedure to screen for such people. BUT, what do you propose doing with the millions of American Muslims? I ask you again - do you advocate the forced detention, seizure of property, and harassment of American Muslims a la the Japanese-American experience during WWII? If not, what then do you propose?

Hmm, I recall post 9/11 numerous fervent quotes from American Muslims stating their revulsion of the WTC/Pentagon attacks. It seems that you are of the opinion that American Muslims need apologize every time a fanatic non-American Muslim does something barbaric overseas. I think that's very naive.

#36     May 12, 2004
  7. Oh my, are you confused. You have totally mangled and mischaracterized what I wrote. Which words did you not understand exactly? Is english, perhaps, your second langauge?

Gee, I knew those on the looney left were misguided. But I may now have to amend that characterization to add semi-literate and obtuse. Thanks for setting me straight.

#37     May 12, 2004
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

I dont think bombing a country to then have to pay for it to then not have any control over it to then hand it over and it become the same thing it was before we went in is what we need.....Either the prez grabs he fucking pelotas ( meaning get tough already and bomb some shit and kick some ass ) or get the fuck out.....

#38     May 12, 2004
  9. Cutten

Cutten

Hear, hear. We've already terminated Saddam and his regime with extreme prejudice. Even Bush said "Mission accomplished" almost a year ago. So what the hell are we still doing there? Either Iraq is a serious WMD threat (yeah right!) or is a leading terrorist threat against the Western homelands (yeah right!), or it isn't. Almost every agrees that with Saddam gone it is no threat whatsoever. So let's get the hell out of there and start f*cking with some serious terrorists instead of pissed off guys with RPGs who don't like being bossed around in their own country.

Why spend tens of billions on desalination plants and mobile phone networks in some desert sh*thole, if can't even prevent western civilians being kidnapped and brutalised in inhumane fashion? Let's try spending a few million capturing the f*ckers who did this and take them out. That'll be a lot more value for money than rebuilding some mosque so some mad mullah can start indoctrinate young kids to hate the west.

Bush and his administration (along with Blair) are following a policy that can only be described as pathological insanity. They have launched the biggest left-wing anti-patriotic welfare program in history - screwing their home countries and sacrificing the lives of courageous soldiers to improve the quality of life in a foreign country that is a catastrophe waiting to happen. Why the hell should the average American or Brit contribute several hundred $ or £ per year to Iraq? Why should some squaddie take a bullet to provide security in this place, when we're handing over power in a month? Let's make sure we don't get blown to smithereens first, ok?

#39     May 12, 2004
  10. mark1

mark1 Guest

Oil man, it'scalled Oil

#40     May 12, 2004