The retaliation thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cutten, May 11, 2004.

1. Cutten

Cutten

After seeing the stuff about that American guy getting beheaded, I was wondering at what point the patience of the American public gets exhausted, and they start to get real mad and just demand massive retaliation against all muslim extremists, regardless of civilian casualties, wrongful identification, or who gets caught in the crossfire. At what point does public clamour become sufficient that the US just says "fuck it", and instead of arresting and trying suspected extremists, they just go round hunting all the suspects down and simply killing them? How long before every radical mullah preaching hatred gets stuck in solitary for the rest of his life, or sent to the electric chair? At what point do the marines get the order to identify the remaining part of Fallujah in insurgent hands, and simply raze it from the face of the earth? How long before Syria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Iran etc are told to kill every extremist, or face squadrons of B52s blowing their capitals to smithereens?

I think we are quite far from that point at the moment, but I think it's quite likely it will arrive eventually. IMO people will eventually conclude that trying to be fair and civilised simply lengthens the struggle, and the calls for a heavy-handed response become too loud for politicians to ignore. Any thoughts?

2. Depending on the climate, I think another 9.11 impact level terrorist act would clinch that sort of response.

3. THE MAN

THE MAN

this is what happens when fox news tells you, WE WON'T SHOW YOU THE VIDEO, WE'VE DECIDED IT'S TOO INTENSE FOR YOU TO SEE. so then the majority of america goes about their lives oblivious to the real world. the typical political crap goes on between the republicans and democrats...and we just aren't upset enough til 9/11 events happen. this country will eventually get nuked, imo. people will be pissed off then, at least for a few months.

4. Pabst

Pabst

Something along the lines of Madrid would be sufficient.

5. Yeah exactly. Yet the prisoner abuse pictures are in every newspaper.

6. It would start right now if everyone saw that video, which I just did. I want to fucking cry.

7. BSAM

BSAM

Hmmmm.....Worked well in the 1940s.

8. Depending on the climate, I think another 9.11 impact level terrorist act would clinch that sort of response.

that's what israel and its insane supporters are banking on....

mossad caught in tennessee........hmm didnt see this on the televitz anywhere.....i wonder why......i wonder why

http://home.att.net/~professorboris/SPECTRE/JohnsonCity.htm

9. Maverick74

Maverick74

You know I have been saying this for months. What will it take for people to wake up and understand exactly how serious this mess in the middle east is? I mean it took Pearl Harbor to get us into WWII. Otherwise who knows if we ever would have gotten involved. During the Cuban missile Crisis it took Kruschef (sp) putting nuclear missiles in Cuba 90 miles away from Miami for us to believe that the Cold War was serious. And it took 9/11 for us to realize that what goes on in the world 20k miles away from us in the middle east really does affect us.

But why the f*ck does it take these extreme events for Americans to wake up, especially liberals. I mean they act as if we just leave everyone alone and hold hands and sing campfire songs, the problems will go away. Why do we have to lose 5k, 10k, or 100k lives before we finally say, OK, it's getting serious, we should really do something now. I just don't get it. Why are we so apathetic in this country?

Look, everyday for the rest of our lives we are going to have to deal with these foreign policy issues whether we like it or not. Ignoring the problem is not going to make it go away. And being friendly with France and Germany is not going to solve the problem either. I'm afraid the solution to this problem is going to be some really serious tough love. I mean it's going to have to get ugly. There will be casualties. There will be bloodshed. And yes, we are going to have to piss off a lot of the world to get this done. The question is do we have the guts to see this through? Are we going to step up and admit that these people cannot be negotiated with, the UN cannot help us here. Neither can Sweden or Norway. We are going to have to stop talking the talk and start walking the walk. And maybe, just maybe, our grandchildren will live in a better world then us. The only question is are we capable of such selfless action or not. I think that remains to be seen.

10. Yeah, maybe. Although I think it would take a bit more than that. Afterall, we are talking about a full scale 'fuck 'em all and let God sort 'em out" job here.

Right now, I think a "Madrid" in the US would get a lot of outrage yes, but given the difficulties in Iraq I think it would also get a decent dose of "we/you had it coming" too and may indeed cause the opposite response of giving up on Iraq and limiting the response to 'criminal prosecution' (yes, yes! I can here msfe saying to himself).

It's a tricky call. Just like the market, you can have all the stars aligned and then it goes does the opposite anyway.

#10     May 11, 2004