The Republican brain … on science

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Apr 17, 2012.

1. During the darkest days of the Bush era, science writer Chris Mooney made a big splash in the publishing world with his first book detailing the Republican war on science. This month his newest effort, what could be nicknamed the Republican brain on science, hit the shelves. In it you will find Mooney is a stickler for detail, always important in any book on science, especially one with a bold title. But this is no clinical read, the book is a blast right off the bat, framing the main subject marvelously in the juiciest claims and tastier bits of conservative pseudoscientific lore readers here have come to lovingly know and ridicule.

The book also introduced something new, at least for me, called the smart idiot effect: the more educated conservatives are, the more sure they are about their false beliefs.

How is that possible?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/zingularity/2012/04/15/the-republican-brain-on-science/

2. Brass

Brass

Good find, FT. An easily understandable and accurate premise supported by the facts. And even by definition, conservative minds don't want change. Progress is about moving forward, which implies change. Conservatives have historically been the ones to slap down innovation and social progress as a matter of course. How conservatives managed to even find their way to the 11th century remains a mystery.

3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Holy shit, ANOTHER liberal circle jerk?

4. 377OHMS

377OHMS

FT is a full-on idiot and Brass knows it but doesn't possess the shame necessary to admit it.

5. Brass

Brass

6. Lucrum

Lucrum

NO he's NOT. And neither are you.

7. Brass

Brass

Thanks, but I didn't ask the lost for directions.

8. Lucrum

Lucrum

Just as well, you're not smart enough to follow them anyway.

9. Brass

Brass

You haven't quite yet figured out why I wouldn't want to, did you?

10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Sure I have, you're not smart enough to know you should.

#10     Apr 17, 2012