The recognition of the Wall St. Journal

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Vinny Gigante, Jul 21, 2002.

1. egildone

egildone

:D

#41     Jul 31, 2002
  2. JORGE

JORGE

Vinny, I really don't care to spend time looking up Shortboy's past 6 years results. I'll take your word for it that he beat the S&P since 1996. I just think it is misleading to brag about being up 17% by shorting stocks in a market which is down 19%. I believe it was just another piece of poor journalism by the financial press. I get tired of reading stories written by people who do not have a clue about the market. I guess if they did, they would be making money instead of talking about it.
    I believe the reason you have taken so much flack on this board is that most of us are traders, we would not be able to feed ourselves if we only returned 17%.

#42     Jul 31, 2002
  3. Hey did anyone else notice about this so called book Bill keeps talk about that the authors are also major contributors to Forbes?

Were they the same ones who wrote the article in Forbes that you keep talking about Vinny?

Is it possible that the book writers have some kickbacks from doing an ad for shortboy?

Inquiring minds want to know...

20% isn't very impressive to real traders nor is beating the S&P's.

Wanna out perform the market...........

cut your losses short and let your profits run.

In a bull market you'll end up buying all the stocks making 52 week highs and getting a huge increase in volume, They are the ones that will out perform the market as the top funds are buying them and money flows into the top funds.

The stocks you get stopped out of (you do use stops don't u ?) realize they aren't going to be the best performers and add to the ones that are working....

add margin to the list.....

In a bear market find the stocks that have the largest volume increases and are making new 52 week lows. Stop out and keep adding to the winners. The larger funds are getting out of these and will push the stock lower and lower.

Than the question would be how do you realize what type of market it is.?? Well if all your longs are working and the shorts aren't it's a bull.....if your shorts are working and you are being stopped out of your longs......it's a bear.

Keep it simple and stop the rambling of how great 20% or something is.

Please.

I did more than 20% on my account today as I live on my account.

Robert

#43     Jul 31, 2002
  4. shortboy has been trading since 1996. And he has trounced the S&P according to AUDITED results for 6 straight years.

Then why does his (your?) website only show results from mid 99? Surely having AUDITED results from Wharton graduates (with the appropriate disclaimers) would merit being posted to his site.

Even though the S&P rose from 1996-1999, Shortboy beat the S&P index, an impressive accomplishment, and has continued to beat it ever since.

Well, I have to disagree there. Even by his own admission he failed to beat it in '99. I hope you're not intenionally disseminating false information.

In 2002, shortboy's up 20%, and the S&P is down 20%. Maybe that's not great performance for you in 2002. But let me ask you a question, when you purchase a mutual fund, do you ask fot a 1/2 years performance, or ALL of their results.

Mutual funds manage billions of dollars, shortboy manages thousands. BIG difference.
    Furthermore, I would never purchase a mutual fund, and I doubt any trader in their right mind would either. But if I did, you can bet I'd wanna see "ALL of their results" - so where are Shortboy's pre-99 (Wharton audited!) results?

Shortboy has also been in the Wall St. Journal twice, when the article topic was short selling, so apparently he is a well recognized name in the world of short selling.

Which, if true (and given your track record in the truth department, we can take nothing for granted), says more about the nugacity of the WSJ than about Shortboy's "skills".

Incidentally, the Shortster's made about 500 trades (being generous here) since '99. I make that many a month. If half of mine are short, that means I've done at the very least 1000 this year alone; and our gains and losses per trade are not dissimilar. Wow, at this rate, I guess I deserve some recognition in the "world of short selling" too! (Short Sales Hall of Fame anyone?)

#44     Jul 31, 2002
  5. I enjoy reading the articles in the Wall St. Journal, they have some of the best writers in the game.

#45     Jul 31, 2002
  6. Speaking of writing patterns,Archangel you remind me of the skilled Tek A/ writer for Trade Prospector. Keep up the good work.

---------------------------------

They still say better late than never. Still like the Dow Jones news[and trades] concerning TYC and Carl Ichan.:cool: [Parent company-Wall St. Journal]

#46     Aug 27, 2002
  7. something about this post makes me like it.

#47     Aug 27, 2002
  8. prox

prox

Becky Quick is hot though.

#48     Sep 9, 2002
  9. Does the fact that the "auditors" were Wharton grads mean they used "creative auditing"?

#49     Sep 9, 2002